Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to learn Linux?

Beans

Talking Re: How to learn Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    Forget books. Set up a system that you can break and not have to worry about losing anything important.

I have never touched a Linux book.
    Or go ahead and break it.
    Then crap your pants and look on the web or come back here on a different computer for help.

I'll never forget the time I locked out my permissions to the entire file system on my old iMac. (Darwin Unix, Cshell).
    The poor thing wouldnt even boot.
    Found a IRC channel on a different computer and someone saved my butt.

Good times!

Also... learn how to install programs from source (Which I had forgotten how to do when I downloaded Ubuntu recently.)
    It was a common thing with Darwin unfortunately.

./configure
    make
    sudo make install

Check out the Ubuntu pocket guide book thats a free pdf.
    Someone posted a link here. Somewhere...
    I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to learn Linux?

Thank you all soooo much. i can not even begin to describe my gratitude. i am proud to run linux and proud to be part of this community.

Beans
    Hidden!

I will say that these are my favourite books:

Running Linux 5th edition (or if there is a newer one)
    Linux in a nutshell 6th edition (or newer)
    Linux bible (this one just shows you how to install different distros and some will follow on a dvd and cd)

It's totally worth it, good luck.
    Last edited by Hexley; December 2nd, 2010 at 01:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

One of my favorite ways to learn Linux is to read these forums.

Almost every day I log in and review the most recent posts - any time I see something that I don't know the answer to and sounds like it might be useful to me down the road (which is often for me <g>), I read the thread to learn what I can from it.

This forum is an amazing resource.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SebSmith View Post
    well idk anything about linux except terminal is used for commands. i was a proficient xp user and id like to be a proficient ubuntu user. i want to learn your entire list!!
    First off, experiment with some distros. To get a decent grasp of how Linux distros work install Virtualbox. Virtualbox essentially an OS emulator. Just mount the downloaded .iso and you're good to go

I recommend installing openSUSE, Fedora and Debian in a Virtual Machine; they're major distros and learning the querks of each will help in the longrun.

Also, get used to using the Terminal. When you need to copy/paste/move/rename files, use commands; it'll familiarize you with the directory layout as well as the commands.

Or, if you're really adventurous, try Linux from Scratch

None of this will turn you into a power user, but it should help you get a grasp of the OS. And another hint of advice for learning is to not use Windows when you find something difficult. When I started Linux, I got rid of Windows completely and basically forced myself to learn workarounds to issues and such.

Good luck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123