Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to learn Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: How to learn Linux?

Forget books. Set up a system that you can break and not have to worry about losing anything important. Then have at it. Find a guide on how to do something specific and follow it. Then go beyond that and start customizing it. Then go beyond that and make it secure if it's some kind of server. You can even go beyond that and figure out how to integrate it with other things to make it even more useful.

I have never touched a Linux book.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

If the OP is going to study this, he will have to read books. Comes as part of the territory . You do learn fast with experimentation though.

@OP. Look at VMWare or Virtual box (google both). They will allow you to virtualise a system to break and fix to your hearts content.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by akand074 View Post
    Best way to learn how to use Linux, is to use Linux.
    i agree with this. this is how i learned how to handle Linux

but if u need to read to learn try a magazine like: Linux pro magazine or Ubuntu user

there are more but these can get u started
    Last edited by gamebusterzade; December 2nd, 2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: typo
    Here I will put a good saying.
    . you just lost the game.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SebSmith View Post
    I have no idea how to learn linux. i am a college student information systems major but i have not started my program. i was wondering if there was anyway i could start learning how to do advanced things. i run ubuntu 10.10 solely on my notebook. luckily it is user friendly or i would be lost. any suggestions on how to learn? what is code or something?

sorry if this is a stupid post
    Install a virtual machine and then install Gentoo Linux inside it. You will learn how to use Linux very quickly.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Hi

If the OP is going to study this, he will have to read books. Comes as part of the territory . You do learn fast with experimentation though.

@OP. Look at VMWare or Virtual box (google both). They will allow you to virtualise a system to break and fix to your hearts content.

Kind regards
    What I mean is don't rely solely on books. I see this all the time. Someone wants to learn Linux and they immediately go for books. Now maybe some people learn better though reading, but there's one shortcoming of books that you will run into regardless of how you learn. Linux books teach you things as they would happen in a pristine environment which is almost never the case in the real world.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The Linux Documentation Project (tldp.org)is a great resource for newbies, gurus, and the rest of us! You'll find stuff there aimed at just about every level of Linux knowledge/ignorance.

This site (Ubuntuforums.org)is also a great place to learn about Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular. The Ubuntu community is by and large very friendly and helpful. You won't get any of those nasty "RTFM" responses here!

I'm afraid I don't agree with FuturePilot's stance on books. I haven't touched many Linux books... but only because I have a stack of them in .pdf format! There are countless books about Linux that you are free to copy. I'm afraid I can't give you any specific titles as I'm not at my desktop machine right now, but one useful book that comes to mind is called something like The Linux Dictionary. It explains some of those scary-sounding topics in easy-to-follow language, and helped me pierce the "mystique" that some newbies get put off by.

To really learn "about Linux", you really need to clarify in your mind what it is you want to do with Linux. It's a vast subject, as in many ways the story of Linux encompasses the history of the internet and of computing itself! Sit down and make a list of the subjects that you really feel you need or want to know about; then try concentrating on those subjects first. Everything's interconnected at some level, so you'll get a pretty good general grounding even when concentrating on just a few subjects. For example, a while back I decided I really wanted to know more about Linux in networking. So I googled up a heap of info about Linux networks, and in the process I learned a whole heap of other stuff!

I hope all this talk about heaps of info and endless tomes hasn't scared you off! If all you want to do is learn how to use Linux competently, there isn't really need to go anywhere near the more arcane stuff. Nowadays there are lots of wonderful applications with clear, intuitive user interfaces that you'll be able to pick up in no time at all. You certainly don't need to be a computer expert to use Linux!
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here are two books that I found to be hugely helpful in learning Ubuntu:

Ubuntu for Non-Geeks
    - This is the book I wish I had when first started with Ubuntu and didn't know how to make things work. Nicely organized around chapters for multimedia, productivity, etc.

Ubuntu Kung Fu - Chock-full of tips, tricks, and hacks for doing all sorts of useful and cool things in Ubuntu. It's getting a little outdated, since it was published in 2008. But every time I open it up, I learn something interesting. If I even applied 25% of that content, I'd feel like a power user. Bonus is that awesome title!

Like others have said, also spend a lot of time exploring the system, checking out the menus, and tweaking settings.
    LinuxforArtists.com - Use free software to unleash creativity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SebSmith View Post
    what books do you recommend?
    Try starting with Mike McGrath's Linux in Easy Steps. It helped me!
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The arch linux wiki is also an excellent source of information.
    Desktop: Home Built Core i7 - Ubuntu/Windows
    Netbook: Asus Eeepc 900HA - Arch w/ Openbox
    Laptop:2010 Macbook Pro 13 - Mac osx w/ Ubuntu/Fedora Virtual Machines
    Tablet:Asus Transformer 32gb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Jumping right in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast