Thread: How to replace current ubuntu WiFi driver with new one

Beans

How to replace current ubuntu WiFi driver with new one

I have been trying to get my WiFi(AR9285) card to work properly for quite some time now. I need to know how I can completely remove the
    wireless driver that comes pre-installed with ubuntu.

I have done the following:

- Installed the "compat-wireless-2.6.33.tar.bz2" drivers, which have ath9k.
    (This had no effect. I rebooted and it still gives me the exact same problem)

-Reinstalling ubuntu

-Disabling IPV6

-Ensured that I am close enough to the wireless router. It's not an out-of-range/low-signal problem.

What I need to know:

-How do I completely remove the current driver that comes pre-installed, in order to make sure it is replaced by the new one?

-I have read about "Backports" many times, but I am not sure what I should do. It would be great to get any instructions or links about this.

-As a last resort, I think I'm going to have to use ndiswrapper. Again, before I do this, I need to know how to completely remove the current ubuntu driver, to make sure it doesn't fight with the one I will install. I'm going to find the needed .sys and .inf files now, as I have completely ran out of ideas.

-Anything else that has a remote chance of making my WiFi card to work properly on Ubuntu 10.10.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Davste; December 2nd, 2010 at 04:19 PM.

Beans

Re: How to replace current ubuntu WiFi driver with new one

bump