Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux + NAS + Bittorrent = ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Linux + NAS + Bittorrent = ???

I use a QNAP NAS. I've got one of the two-bay RAID models, but you could get one of the smaller ones if you're on a budget. They run Linux on an ARM chip. They all have a torrent client (based on rTorrent, IIRC) and will do Windows and Apple file sharing. Some of them up the range do NFS, too. I'm very happy with mine, it's packed with features and very efficient. They come with full ssh and telnet access too, so they're not locked down.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cartisdm View Post
    Any of you guys use a NAS drive with a mix of Linux, Apple, and Windows OSs on the same network? I'd really like to transfer all my media to a central location and keep it on the Iomega 34337 NAS drive but I switch regularly between all operating systems.

I know that particular model of Iomega doesn't have native Bittorrent support, is this something that be added on? I'd also like to be able to access the drive remotely via FTP or something but lets not get ahead of outselves just yet...

(PS I will need to keep the drive in a format that my xbox 360 can read because that's what's playing most of the media)
    I've been running something just like this for the past year, and setup a similar server for a friend, with great success. Just get a mini-ITX motherboard with a built-in Atom CPU, a big case, one small HDD(Possibly from an old computer, it's just for the OS), and three big HDDs(For the RAID5 containing your media files). Install Ubuntu Server 10.04, setup the HDDs in RAID5 using mdadm, and finally install the package "deluged".

"deluged" is the backend of torrent application Deluge. Just install Deluge on your other computers(It is compatible with Windows, OSX, and Linux), and connect it to the server. It can connect via te internet, and via your local LAN.

Then, to access the server, setup both SSH(For Linux and OSX boxes) and Samba(For Windows boxes).

I'd be glad to help you with the details of setting it up, since I have a lot of experience with how to best do it at this point
    Last edited by NCLI; December 1st, 2010 at 11:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    I've been running something just like this for the past year, and setup a similar server for a friend, with great success. Just get a mini-ITX motherboard with a built-in Atom CPU, a big case, one small HDD(Possibly from an old computer, it's just for the OS), and three big HDDs(For the RAID5 containing your media files). Install Ubuntu Server 10.04, setup the HDDs in RAID5 using mdadm, and finally install the package "deluged".

"deluged" is the backend of torrent application Deluge. Just install Deluge on your other computers(It is compatible with Windows, OSX, and Linux), and connect it to the server. It can connect via te internet, and via your local LAN.

Then, to access the server, setup both SSH(For Linux and OSX boxes) and Samba(For Windows boxes).

I'd be glad to help you with the details of setting it up, since I have a lot of experience with how to best do it at this point
    Hey thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I am trying to avoid going down the "server" road due to lack of space. Currently I have a one bedroom apartment in the city so space is very limited. That's how I came across these NAS drives. Their all inclusive package is a real turn on for the price! It just seems hard to come by one that is less than $120 and Bit Torrent capable...

EDIT: Looks like I found one a contender! The Buffalo Technology LinkStation has included BitTorrent software, a web browsing interface, and the ability to access anywhere as a FTP...and all for $109 (B&H Video)!
    Last edited by cartisdm; December 2nd, 2010 at 01:18 AM.
    Dell Inspiron e1505 - 10.10/Windows 7
    HP Mini 1030NR - Jolicloud 1.2
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Ubuntu User # 19787 | Linux User #461129

Beans

@cartisdm: You'll have to do a search & see what the price of the Netgear ReadyNAS Duo, currently is in your part of the world.

I bought mine without drives as I already had a 1.5TB WD Green. Apart from that it is cheaper to supply your own drives anyway. Have a search, you will find all of the details available on the net for these little hardware wonders.

If you do get one, contact me as there is a trick or two that I can help you out with as far as getting the most out of the things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12