Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diference Between Photoshop and gimp?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Diference Between Photoshop and gimp?

After seeing a few posts i began to wonder why people keeps putting gimp outside the frame, what are the professional things that make people stick to photoshop (well aside the floating windows, and the 20 years of photoshop experience)

Diferences so far (well actually lacks)
    * Price
    * no CMYK, LAB, Pantone and Hexachrome native profile
    * color depth is 8-bit at current version 2.6.10.
    * Adjustment layers
    * Lock Layers they promised it at 2.8
    * Layer comps
    * Patch tool
    * A free transform tool (A merged one, they exist but at separated tools e.g: rotate, scale; )
    * Clipping mask layer
    * Editable vector supporting layer masks and effects for working only in gimp
    * Advanced character settings and writing on curved paths that remain editable also missing but this belong more to a vector program.
    * Conversion of font elements (Convert text to path) into shapes with subsequent editing
    * Maybe too much to ask but no Content-Aware Scale, quick selection tool, Smart objects
    Last edited by DMKryl; December 4th, 2010 at 04:48 AM.

Beans

Re: Diference Between Photoshop and gimp?

It always used to be support for CMYK
    but I believe the Gimp has had CMYK support for a while now
    Code:
    while [ true ]; do CY=$(date +%y); CM=$(date +%m); if [ -n "$PY" ] && [ -n "$PM" ]; then echo "Ubuntu ${CY}.${CM} is the worst release ever"; echo "I'm going back to ${PY}.${PM}"; fi; PY="$CY"; PM="$CM"; sleep 182d; done

Beans
    Distro

searching a little i found that it doesn't have a native CMYK profile but there's a plug in for separating to cmyk, separate+, besides that anything else?

Beans

Nothing major that I know of
    Code:
    while [ true ]; do CY=$(date +%y); CM=$(date +%m); if [ -n "$PY" ] && [ -n "$PM" ]; then echo "Ubuntu ${CY}.${CM} is the worst release ever"; echo "I'm going back to ${PY}.${PM}"; fi; PY="$CY"; PM="$CM"; sleep 182d; done

Beans

Just google for "photoshop vs. gimp".

Off-top of my head:

- higher precision in terms of bits per color channel, which means not so much loss of useful data during color grading
    - transparent access to different color spaces such as LAB, because every color space is good for its own set of scenarios
    - adjustment layers, which means being able to edit some changes you did even if you save and close
    - actions, because you can quickly record and replay a set of changes to different pictures
    - better retouching tools; e.g. GIMP's healing brush starts drawing garbage when you are close to edge of an object, and there is no patch tool
    Libre Graphics World — news and articles on free design and photography software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by prokoudine View Post
    Just google for "photoshop vs. gimp".

Off-top of my head:

- higher precision in terms of bits per color channel, which means not so much loss of useful data during color grading
    - transparent access to different color spaces such as LAB, because every color space is good for its own set of scenarios
    - adjustment layers, which means being able to edit some changes you did even if you save and close
    - actions, because you can quickly record and replay a set of changes to different pictures
    - better retouching tools; e.g. GIMP's healing brush starts drawing garbage when you are close to edge of an object, and there is no patch tool
    I was about to post something similar, so I will just amplify.

Most of the things missing from the GIMP are things which only matter for professional print, production and pre-press work. If 16/48-bit color, LAB, Pantone and Hexachrome don't mean anything to you, then, for your purposes, there isn't much difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As an artist and a user of both platforms the biggest thing which prevents me from using GIMP full time is the brush engine. Photoshop's brush engine is incredible and completely intuitive to me. GIMPs suffers multiple setbacks while managing to do some things better albeit different from the way PS handles them.

Adjustment layers and layer grouping are huge features for digital artists that are either missing or badly implemented within GIMP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Still think you need a separate program to process camera raw images in order to process them with Gimp, but that may have changed.

But the big difference(s) are Adobe Bridge (which is integrated) and allows seamless integration with Illustrator .. being able to use Light Room for professional photo management .. PLUG INS .. LOTS of plug ins such as a complete filter program from Tiffen that allows some real art work in black and white, for instance.

BUT ... for the point and shoot camera person that just wants to crop and do minor corrections .. Gimp is MUCH MORE than they need (they need a lighter and more easy to use program for Linux .. and that is under development.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

There are hundreds of gimp plug-ins and many photoshop plug-ins will work in gimp
    http://registry.gimp.org/

Beans
    Distro

ok i started to see for myself what things are really missing dpny and prokoudine you're absolutely right gimp max color depth is 8-bit.

*taken from http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=1908

Bit depth defines the number of colours available to each pixel within an image:

Bit Depth Colours Available
    1-bit black and white
    2-bit 4 colours
    4-bit 16 colours
    8-bit 256 colours
    8-bit greyscale 256 shades of grey
    16-bit 32768 colours
    24-bit 16.7 million colours
    32-bit 16.7 million + 256 Levels of transparency

I messed around with a file, save it and closed and gimp maintain my layers with his mode,

LAB, Pantone and Hexachrome i agree the right tool for the work,

Healing brush needs a little more work but nothing you can't do using brush and clone,

Group layers announced for version 2.7.1,

Adjustment layers well yes for a lot of designers big concern, i rather duplicate the file and work on it ,

Although photoshop is used by many digital artist i believe and stand my ground that photoshop wasn't made for that, i'd stick for mypaint, krita while y wish painter come to linux,

Ughhh adobe bridge, i never met a program so useless, take years to open, a total waste of memory the only program that i unselect when i'm installing any cs suite, the program may integrate the whole suite but still i'd prefer to move things manually, in the other hand ia gree with you oldsoundguy plugins are waste time savers, thx for the plug-in page Rodney9

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast