Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing Ubuntu 10.10 on Dell Vostro 3500 Laptop

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.10 on Dell Vostro 3500 Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by bingotailspin View Post
    This laptop has the new Nvidia + Intel hybrid graphics card which is not supported on linux. This means to get to run your awesome nvidia card and produce heat/drain your battery, but you don't get to use it! You only get the Intel card with some low resolution. I hate Dell anymore.

There is suppose to be a way to turn off hybrid graphics in the BIOS, but I don't have it. I talked with Dell and they said I don't have this BIOS option because I installed linux. That doesn't make sense.
    That's does not make ANY sense. Linux does not touch the BIOS. Whoever told you so, really don't know what he/she is talking about. Mine doesn't came with a switch IGC off option in the BIOS. But thats a Dell fault. I have a working Win7 partition where nVidia card does work as supposed to. We must call Dell to have a BIOS update with a "compatibility mode" to select hybrid mode or nvidia-only mode. I will make this call tomorrow if I have the chance.

There are indeed some methods to turn off the nVidia card. I'm running with nVidia on but the screen is rendered by the IGC only, works fine in the desktop and some games, but i have a hot useless brick under my keyboard...

Take a look at this awesome group. http://launchpad.net/~hybrid-graphics-linux

They are trying their best to make hybrid graphics run on linux. The PRIME project is also being looked after and any code you may add gets us a step closer to the answer. Even if you don't code, you must post your machine in there, and try some tests.

Hybrid graphics are a rule now in laptops and is mandatory to get this working under linux or our community will loose (not gain i mean) a lot of users. I was unaware of this laptop containing two video cards, but i love linux and the machine works really smooth under linux, even more than window$.

@kingoo Thanks for the update on that issue. I'll test it tonight and report back. That was almost the only thing that was turning em down on upgrading to Natty. Is the wireless hot-switch causing freezes already?
    The two leds on the right of the wireless hard-switch are one for the POWER led (it tells you if your machine is on, and blinks slowly if it is suspended), I would be really concerned if that does not turn on; the other is for battery state, this laptop has a really good feature: you can choose not to charge the battery when the AC plug is attached, really useful for short periods of AC plug, would increase the battery lifetime. Also, the battery won't charge from hardware if it has more than 80% of it's capacity when the AC is plugged-in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I talked with a guy and service center and he told me to bring it in. So I will next week.
    And one other question, does your card reader works? Mine doesn't. I think it's not even detected by the system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
    I talked with a guy and service center and he told me to bring it in. So I will next week.
    And one other question, does your card reader works? Mine doesn't. I think it's not even detected by the system.
    It works fine for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Well, I'll have to check that to.

According to this

it must be something with that cable. No status lights, no working card reader and no working express card. And all is on the same board connected wit the same cable.

edit: yes, cable was disconnected
    Last edited by kinggo; May 2nd, 2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: picture added

Beans

Well, good news. We now are able to actually use the Nvidia card on our beloved Vostros.

Check Martin Juhl's Bumblebee and try it. It worked for me on ArchLinux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Samsagax View Post
    The official nVidia driver does not work. But i think is an X issue cos either the X server or the graphics card does not recognizes the screen.
    The nouveau driver provides support for the HDMI (tested it myself ) and for 3 screens (YEAH!!), the maximum you probably plug to your laptop and works very good.
    hello Samsagax,

thanks for the answers!

I am about to reinstall my Vostro 3500 with Debian Squeeze (current stable debian).
    Therefore, I downloaded a live cd for exactly that distro which comes with
    nouveau 0.0.15 in a default config (seems like no xorg.conf, but uses nouveau, by probing as can be seen in the X log).

This works fine except that a monitor attached via HDMI is not recognized in GNOME.
    Which version of nouveau did you use? Will an upgrade to 0.0.16 help?
    Did you configure anything in xorg.conf to be able to use the HDMI port?

(I don't have the hybrid card, just the GeForce 310M)

Thanks a lot!

Beans

Now the HDMI output (graphics, sound not tested) works for me with Debian Testing 2011-06-08,
    and the nouveau driver 0.0.16:
    ii xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:0.0.16+git20110411+8378443-1+b1

I'm not sure whether it works with Debian squeeze as it didn't work from the squeeze live cd.

Beans

hi,

with the current 3.x kernels, there is a new Open Source WLAN driver for the Broadcom BCM 43224 (aka Dell 1520):
    http://wiki.debian.org/brcm80211
    which works for my Vostro 3500 on Debian testing (wheezy).

Beans

Hello, I'm a new one to this forum and.. I'm using Debian. Sorry

I have one question for people who use Ubuntu on Vostro 3555. Is suspend/resume working on your system?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123