Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu 10.10 on Dell Vostro 3500 Laptop

Beans

Exclamation Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.10 on Dell Vostro 3500 Laptop

Anyone here successful enabled the bluetooth device of vostro 3500 on ubuntu? Please, let me know how.

Thanks in advance
    plus movies plus guaraná =

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.10 on Dell Vostro 3500 Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Argard View Post
    Anyone here successful enabled the bluetooth device of vostro 3500 on ubuntu? Please, let me know how.

Thanks in advance
    I had. Works out-of-the-box in my laptop with Maverick and I use it on daily basis, wireless lan needs Broadcom proprietary driver. In Natty, both wi-fi and bluetooth worked out-of-the-box.

Probably enabling Broadcom proprietary driver will work.

Tell me wich kernel and firmware are you using?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Samsagax View Post
    I had. Works out-of-the-box in my laptop with Maverick and I use it on daily basis, wireless lan needs Broadcom proprietary driver. In Natty, both wi-fi and bluetooth worked out-of-the-box.

Probably enabling Broadcom proprietary driver will work.

Tell me wich kernel and firmware are you using?
    Thanks for your answer!

I already installed the proprietary drivers and it kept not working.

lsusb: Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic x86_64

Device firmware: I don't know how to extract this information.

I will do an kernel update now and later I make a post here to tell the results..

Tks in advance

Beans

It's odd, in my case it worked from the live session.

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)

I've got the same hardware. Here is a tip. Did you turned wireless off in Win7? Seemes that if you turn something off in one OS then the other OS does not recognize it. At least with bluetooth works that way. As long as the wireless is part of the same hardware it should work the same way.

Beans

It's odd, in my case it worked from the live session.

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)

I've got the same hardware. Here is a tip. Did you turned wireless off in Win7? Seemes that if you turn something off in one OS then the other OS does not recognize it. At least with bluetooth works that way. As long as the wireless is part of the same hardware it should work the same way.
    Very interesting point, I really turned off my bluetooth on windows, I will restart my computer with windows 7 and set it on and try access again. I will post the result...

But if this works it will be a very weird issue...

Beans

Very interesting point, I really turned off my bluetooth on windows, I will restart my computer with windows 7 and set it on and try access again. I will post the result...

But if this works it will be a very weird issue...
    It works! Thanks Samsagax

It must be activated on windows to work on linux ... this is a big weird behavior!

Beans

It works! Thanks Samsagax

It must be activated on windows to work on linux ... this is a big weird behavior!

Works that way. I think is related with the OS touching things in the BIOS. If you turn off wireless/bluetooth in linux you wont see it on Win7 either.

Beans

Works that way. I think is related with the OS touching things in the BIOS. If you turn off wireless/bluetooth in linux you wont see it on Win7 either.
    Yes, I thought the same thing and I will not turn it off anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This laptop has the new Nvidia + Intel hybrid graphics card which is not supported on linux. This means to get to run your awesome nvidia card and produce heat/drain your battery, but you don't get to use it! You only get the Intel card with some low resolution. I hate Dell anymore.

There is suppose to be a way to turn off hybrid graphics in the BIOS, but I don't have it. I talked with Dell and they said I don't have this BIOS option because I installed linux. That doesn't make sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

That's why I picked the one with only intel HD.

@ Samsagax I've noticed that you raised a bug about wireless led. I had the same problem and then I found your bug report in which you mention that it worked with maverick. So I tried maverick live CD and I installed STA driver and the led came on. And now it works 64bit natty also. I restarted it a couple times already and it still works.
    But what about those notification lights near audio jacks? Mine doesn't turn on. And I don't want to install windows just to try that. I even bought model without windows since I'm not planing using them. Do they work on your machine?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast