Thread: I need another file manager feature.. add-on or replacement?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I need another file manager feature.. add-on or replacement?

I'm running Nautilus in standard Ubuntu 10.10, but it lacks a feature that is very important for my usage. If there is a modification for Nautilus, that would be best, if there is another Linux file manager that provides the feature, that would still be great.

Feature: When I save a file in a directory by starting to type what I want to name the file in the Windows file manager, at least from XP to current, then a list pops up below the typing line with a list of the files that match that string of characters. I don't know if or how Nautilus can be made to do this.

Why important: I use a Firefox add-on to download songs from some internet radio websites. Because I download so many, I follow the naming convention ARTIST- ALBUM- SONG. Because I've already got over 4000 songs so downloaded, I usually don't know if, when I hear a song, whether I've already downloaded it or not. By having the feature, I just start typing to name the file, and I quickly discover if I already have the song so I can skip the song until I get to one I have not downloaded.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: I need another file manager feature.. add-on or replacement?

Well .. i don't know of any file managers...
    nor do i know of any add-on..
    but what u can do is:

when u try to save a file... you have basically three frames.. one is the file name frame..
    the other two are below it.
    the one on the left displays places like, home, downloads, videos, music, etc etc... (bookmarks)
    the one on the right displays what the current directory contains (the list of files)

click anywhere on the list of files.. and start typing the name you want to save.. as u type.. it is displayed in a new box somewhere... nautilus will jump to the file matching to what u have typed , if it exists..

this way . you can know if a file exists before u save it.. this may mean to type the name twice.. but u can copy paste whatever u have typed in the box...
    There and back again...