Thread: A Dell mystery: Why does a wired connection fail in one place, but doesnt in another

Beans

Red face A Dell mystery: Why does a wired connection fail in one place, but doesnt in another

Here's the problem:

I recently put Xubuntu 10.04 on 2 Dell notebooks for my g/f. One is an older dell- an Inspiron 600 m, and a newer Inspiron 1545.

The 600 m retains the wired connection to the cable modem like a champ. the 1545... Not so much. But this isnt where the mystery comes in.

Now... before I forget- what I was trying to hook into is a cable modem- it has the ethernet connection AND a USB one, and after being switched off and on, both connections failed on the 1545. I have checked the USB sockets, all of them worked- I transferred files successfully to a thumbdrive.

In a fit of frustration (since the wired connection was having no problems at my place), I took the thing back home. As soon as I got home, I turned on the computer, and plugged it into my DSL modem- and the connection will NOT die like it did with the cable modem at my g/fs! I unplugged the cable, turned the computer off and on as much as I felt comfortable with, EVERYTHING. No connection problems.

My poor g/f has to live in rural Podunk and deal with Time Warner cable's gentle ministrations... a cable modem with no wireless, and one ethernet port for $30, and the connection is so lousy, it makes me want to tear my hair out. I am completely lost... is it the computer, the ethernet on the computer, the modem, or is the stupid computer possessed? What keeps the crummy older Dell running on it without so much as a connection hiccup? Both are essentially the same- the hardware is obviously different, but both have wireless and wired connection options, and the newer dell now has the auto configure programs put on it. It helped keep the wired connection up for the rest of the night (in a fit of desperation, we dragged the thing to the local McDonalds and used their wi fi to get programs via synaptic and then back home to check to see what the results would be). Next morning, when it was started up, bye bye connection.....

Oh... and the other reason I am so upset- the older Dell was going to be given to me. Instead, I am having to deal with this lunatic nonsense and I am having to hold onto her newer one- when I'd much rather be mucking around with the older one.

Beans

Unhappy Re: A Dell mystery: Why does a wired connection fail in one place, but doesnt in anot

I know responses are pretty non existent- But here's an update: It seems to be either Time Warner OR cable modems causing this nonsense. Beyond that, I havent the slightest idea what's going on.

SOMEONE help with this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: A Dell mystery: Why does a wired connection fail in one place, but doesnt in anot

Having recently reorganized how my home network is interconnected, I can appreciate how getting network connections to "play nice" and work in the way you want can be a baffling task at times.

Just a thought: have you manually set anything like static IPs from your computer that could mess with your ability to connect to another machine?
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans

Re: A Dell mystery: Why does a wired connection fail in one place, but doesnt in anot

Nope- I didnt reconfigure anything, and put the auto configure program on it. What's been the kick in the crotch is the fact that I brought it home, and tried to connect to my neighbor's cable connection (Time Warner cable internet) same exact thing has happened. brought it back to my house, and it connected up just fine.

I am to the point of calling this a Time Warner problem. The modems are different, but the ISP is the same, even tho the cities arent.

my g/f is getting a wireless rig and going wireless. I'd still love to know what the heck the deal is.

Beans

Well, the mystery is solved.

Time Warner is a buncha crooks. They have effectively 'locked out' the laptop, because her subscription is only for ONE(1) computer. To get the problem fixed simply isnt worth the effort, she says (I agree). Our trip to Time Warner, AFTER I had met with a network expert, done research online, and she even got a new modem and we found out some interesting things made me want to swear at the dumb woman behind the counter who was loud, rude and knew NOTHING.

As a side note... I went to Mint.....