Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Going to use 100% for a DJ gig next Saturday!!

Beans

Re: Going to use 100% for a DJ gig next Saturday!!

I've just mixed the CD for the NYE party, yesterday: it worked out well, even if I still have some minor beat mismatches when I try to phase songs together.
    It happens also with VDJ (I don't use beatlock as it takes away all of the fun) but then I'm able to jog the active track with the left and right keys, thing that I don't seem to be able to do with Mixxx (even if I think I mapped the controls correctly).

I've enjoyed using Mixxx a lot, but on the other hand it looks like I'm not ready yet to take the risk of using it live at NYE. Surely I'll keep training, of course
    I'm a human, so I can make mistakes. Therefore this post (which represents my view) may be mistaken or contain errors.
    Oh, by the way, it may also feature some sarcasm. So take it easy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by julio_cortez View Post
    I've just mixed the CD for the NYE party, yesterday: it worked out well, even if I still have some minor beat mismatches when I try to phase songs together.
    Cool, I hardly ever premix or record. For some reason I will always **** up recorded mixes or never be happy with them, I find the pressure of a live environment keeps me tight and my best mixes are always the gigs where Im on the back foot

I've enjoyed using Mixxx a lot, but on the other hand it looks like I'm not ready yet to take the risk of using it live at NYE. Surely I'll keep training, of course
    It may not be the tool for you, I still find myself wanting VDJ on occasions. Over the Xmas period I tried the 'ITCH' system from Vestax. It uses Serrato software and as an all-in-one package it was great to use and gave professional results, my mate swears by it and struggles with VDJ now.

So whatever you use whether it be Mixxx, VDJ or another system the important thing is just to keep mixing and enjoy it

Beans
    Distro

Just recovered from New Years Eve! Everything went well and even though I got stupendously drunk there was no mishaps... just

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Evil-Ernie View Post
    Cool, I hardly ever premix or record.
    I usually just create a playlist but I make sure to set cue points and phases right (often I perform the mix "as it should be" before going live, but not recording it, just to make sure I've marked all the cue points and all the songs have correct phases).
    I've made a CD for the NYE party just because I was planning to drink a bit so I thought it was wise to have something as a "backup" at least for a hour or two..

So whatever you use whether it be Mixxx, VDJ or another system the important thing is just to keep mixing and enjoy it
    Surely I do, even if I'm just an amateur that does it for fun
    I'm a human, so I can make mistakes. Therefore this post (which represents my view) may be mistaken or contain errors.

Beans
    Distro

I usually just create a playlist but I make sure to set cue points and phases right (often I perform the mix "as it should be" before going live, but not recording it, just to make sure I've marked all the cue points and all the songs have correct phases).
    Ahh I see, I used to set hotcues on VDJ for that but I havent really done that yet with Mixxx

I've made a CD for the NYE party just because I was planning to drink a bit so I thought it was wise to have something as a "backup" at least for a hour or two..
    Good plan
    How did the party go?

Beans

Ahh I see, I used to set hotcues on VDJ for that but I havent really done that yet with Mixxx
    Yes they're very useful to know where to start fading in the next track and so on.. I probably would make a lot of silly mistakes without cue points being displayed

How did the party go?
    Well indeed, even if at midnight we all moved out for the fireworks (we were supposed to be something like a couple dozens of friends, but just ended up being in 10) and we came back at 2 am, with me putting on a CD and relaxing drinking my well-earned wine
    During the time (more or less a hour and a half) I mixed "live", though, everything went well.. I've been at the console just for the minimal necessary time to phase and fade the songs, nothing more

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678