Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great to see the activity!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Great to see the activity!

Good times are here again!

Kent Seaton, Joe Brouhard and I founded this group in 2007 and we were active for a while, but after a time it became apparent it was just the three of us. Real life took over for all of us and things went dormant.

I will pitch in and help wherever needed. We could meet as a state on the #ubuntu-missouri IRC channel (which already exists on freenode) and then have face2face meetings in our individual communities.

Check out our wiki page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MissouriTeam. That has our launchpad page, our mailing list and other contact information.

I'm listed as the LoCo Team Contact, but that doesn't mean much -- it means I have to be subscribed to the LoCo-contacts list and submit the paperwork if / when we get approved. I can keep doing it, or if someone wants to run with it, let me know. I've been doing it out of love of open source, not ego. In the meantime, it looks like StrayWolf and WindWalker52 are kicking **** and taking names -- don't let me step on your toes! Keep going, keep leading, and tell me where you want me. I'll chip in where I can and try to stay out of your way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Great to see the activity!

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinista View Post
    Good times are here again!

Kent Seaton, Joe Brouhard and I founded this group in 2007 and we were active for a while, but after a time it became apparent it was just the three of us. Real life took over for all of us and things went dormant.

I will pitch in and help wherever needed. We could meet as a state on the #ubuntu-missouri IRC channel (which already exists on freenode) and then have face2face meetings in our individual communities.

Check out our wiki page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MissouriTeam. That has our launchpad page, our mailing list and other contact information.

I'm listed as the LoCo Team Contact, but that doesn't mean much -- it means I have to be subscribed to the LoCo-contacts list and submit the paperwork if / when we get approved. I can keep doing it, or if someone wants to run with it, let me know. I've been doing it out of love of open source, not ego. In the meantime, it looks like StrayWolf and WindWalker52 are kicking **** and taking names -- don't let me step on your toes! Keep going, keep leading, and tell me where you want me. I'll chip in where I can and try to stay out of your way.
    I really don't know what the hell I'm doing but I thought the least I could do is offer my exuberance. We still need to have some more meetings to decide if we are going to identify specific area's of focus and how to carry them out. I think we have plenty of people who want to pitch in. But we're creatures of habit and it's sometimes hard to add something new to the routine. I know I'll keep trying. Thanks to those who came before for illuminating a path.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I may be one of the newest members of the group but I will fill in where needed as best I can...give me some reigns and I will run...lol......Just give me a direction and I will go
    Chris
    Linux Registered User #522686
    Ubuntu Registered User #32667
    http://www.cjcomputers.net
    http://www.ubuntumissouri.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Good to see you Obi Wan, I mean Penguinista! As I am stalking the wiki and following the links I keep thinking, "these guys have already laid so much of this out, I wish we would hear back from them so we don't miss anything."
    One of the issues that is already being reinvented exists on another post here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...22&postcount=1
    For clarity, will you check it out and weigh in on that post about the mailing list topic, rather than confusing things here.

Which from the way you use the ubuntu-us-mo list, and from the page at:
    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/project/a...ntu/governance
    it brings up another matter.

Local community teams - LoCo teams
    A major part of the fabric of the community is the local community (LoCo) team structure. LoCo teams work with local Linux User Groups (LUGs), schools, municipalities and even national governments to open people's eyes to the world of free software.
    LoCo teams are a great way to gather free software lovers together for beer, open discussion, talks, marketing events, install-fests and to recognise the achievements of local free software contributors. We provide server hosting space for LoCo websites, wikis, mailing lists and other resources. LoCo members visit conferences to speak, hand out CDs, teach, debate and represent both Ubuntu and the free software movement.
    The LoCo team action mostly happens on the Ubuntu wiki - see the LoCo teams page for more information.
    So are we approaching the creation of the group the wrong way? It's not MOLoCo KC, or MOLoCo Springfield, but Missouri Local Community team comprised of Springfield LUG, KC LUG, St. Louis LUG... I know this is \splitting hairs or just nitpicking, but by definition this makes more sense to me. I think that's basically what some of us were already saying, but in different words.
    I'm asking your opinion Matt, as one of the group, but more because your one of the triumvirate that chased down these questions and read the charter the first time. As always The more people that voice their opinions on this the better.
    Last edited by wyrless2002; December 20th, 2010 at 04:15 AM. Reason: clarification of my hectic thoughts

Beans
    Distro

We need to get a statewide loco going first. I replied to the thread you mentioned above, and also sent out a buzz to all the members on launchpad with a review of the resources that we have.

What killed us off the last time was that there were only three of us. There seems to be a lot more interest now, so there really is nothing stopping us.

It is important to understand, however, that the LoCo is *not* the same thing as your local LUG (Linux User Group). Those groups (KCLUG, for instance) are independent and have their own structure, purpose, etc. The LoCo is specifically for the purpose of getting folks involved in the Ubuntu ecosystem. We want to work with the LUGs (and individuals), and if members want help establishing their own Linux User Groups, we can certainly assist (as long as we aren't stepping on the toes of established groups!). But we need to keep in mind that Ubuntu is our focus, rather than Linux in general.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinista View Post
    We need to get a statewide loco going first. I replied to the thread you mentioned above, and also sent out a buzz to all the members on launchpad with a review of the resources that we have.

What killed us off the last time was that there were only three of us. There seems to be a lot more interest now, so there really is nothing stopping us.

It is important to understand, however, that the LoCo is *not* the same thing as your local LUG (Linux User Group). Those groups (KCLUG, for instance) are independent and have their own structure, purpose, etc. The LoCo is specifically for the purpose of getting folks involved in the Ubuntu ecosystem. We want to work with the LUGs (and individuals), and if members want help establishing their own Linux User Groups, we can certainly assist (as long as we aren't stepping on the toes of established groups!). But we need to keep in mind that Ubuntu is our focus, rather than Linux in general.
    i like that own lug sounds what we might be trying to due in springfield area with imphasses on the ubuntu os in a genreal kind of way

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mikebugman1968 View Post
    i like that own lug sounds what we might be trying to due in springfield area with imphasses on the ubuntu os in a genreal kind of way
    You are probably better off trying to form a more general Linux User Group, as you will appeal to a wider group of users. Advanced users, especially, often use alternate Linux distributions.

Starting a LUG is as easy as finding a meeting place and announcing it. Meetup.com is one way to attract new users; another way is to post to mailing lists for LUGs in surrounding areas (such as LUGs in KC and Saint Louis -- Linux users in your area may be on KC or Saint Louis-area lists to keep in touch with other Linux users).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just wanted to let everyone know I'm still around. I lost all my Evolution data on my laptop from a crash and moved to Thunderbird without knowing that Thunderbird doesn't import vCards or anything else from Evolution. Not sure that I like Thunderbird but it hasn't crashed yet. It doesn't share contacts with Pidgin either. On the same token Evolution would get duplicate contacts in the address book when it shared with Pidgin. I miss Evolution but I'm trying to give Thunderbird a fair chance before I consider it a Thunderturd! Anyway, miss you all!!! Send me an E-mail so I can add you to Thunderbird and see how long that will hold up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I never could get evolution to work right. I like Thunderbird alot I havent had many problems and the few I have had were simple to fix.
    Chris
    Linux Registered User #522686
    Ubuntu Registered User #32667
    http://www.cjcomputers.net
    http://www.ubuntumissouri.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mikebugman1968 View Post
    Mike, I found it. Ozarks Area Linux User Group. Google it, the proper page is www.ozlug.org but it seems to be down.

Here is where I found the most information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast