Thread: Save For Web in GIMP?

Beans

Save For Web in GIMP?

I'm having trouble saving .gif files for web on the Gimp. I go to save for web, then I press "gif", but it doesn't save all the layers, so it's more of a .jpeg instead of a .gif. Am I doing something wrong or does the save for web option not for .gifs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Save For Web in GIMP?

A standard .gif is not so different from a .jpg except for the way it's compressed and support for alpha channels. If you're looking to create an animated gif in GIMP check out this page http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Simple_Animations/
    Winning web design and captivating copy from a branch of design
    "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities; in the experts mind there are few." - Suzuki

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There's actually a "save for web" plugin for GIMP which is similar to Photoshop's sfw window, but I'm not sure it will help your case.

Search the forums here and you'll probably find it immediately.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wallsofcandy View Post
    I'm having trouble saving .gif files for web on the Gimp. I go to save for web, then I press "gif", but it doesn't save all the layers
    Are you trying to save animation from layers? There is a checkbox that enables that when you save to .gif.
    Libre Graphics World — news and articles on free design and photography software

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prokoudine View Post
    Are you trying to save animation from layers? There is a checkbox that enables that when you save to .gif.
    I see that when I save it to my files, but whenever I try to do save for web, it doesn't give me that option.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wallsofcandy View Post
    I see that when I save it to my files, but whenever I try to do save for web, it doesn't give me that option.
    This is because save for web plug-in doens't save animation. Are you quite sure you need it for saving GIF?
    Libre Graphics World — news and articles on free design and photography software

Beans

I find the save for web plug-in more trouble then it's worth.

What you want to do, is save as gif and then follow the steps from this video. Watch from 5:15 to 6:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvt5WQWfw9Y

When it comes to jpg files you can set the web quality with nomal saving too. Even giving you a preview when you tick 'show preview in image window'. And you can specify the exact file size that way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The save for web plugin is a gimmick at this stage mostly intended to mirror a PS "feature". I know I mentioned it earlier but I also agree it's more trouble than it's worth and probably misled you from getting a quick answer. Apologies.