Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would I manually degauss a monitor?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

How would I manually degauss a monitor?

I've got a rather annoying magnetic distortion on my CRT monitor and I'd like to get rid of it. The built in degausser isn't working and I'd like to know how to do it manually.
    Last edited by Dustin2128; November 29th, 2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: convicted grammar nazi
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How would I manually degauss a monitor?

You need a degausing coil... they are very easy to use. However, if the monitor is under ten years old, the internal degausing coil should work... you just have to hit it many times over a period of a day or two.

Beans

Talk to a your local friendly electronics tech', he'll probably say if you bring it in I'll do it for you for nothing. As it will cost him only a few minutes of his time to plug in your monitor, give it a quick circular twirl with his magic wand & give the monitor back to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Spr0k3t View Post
    You need a degausing coil... they are very easy to use. However, if the monitor is under ten years old, the internal degausing coil should work... you just have to hit it many times over a period of a day or two.
    It's around 12 years old. Should the internal one still work?
    Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    Talk to a your local friendly electronics tech', he'll probably say if you bring it in I'll do it for you for nothing. As it will cost him only a few minutes of his time to plug in your monitor, give it a quick circular twirl with his magic wand & give the monitor back to you.
    I live in a pretty rural area, it'd take me quite a while to drive up to the nearest tech store. I've got a load of DIY tools that generate strong magnetic fields though, is it true that you can degauss with a power drill?
    Last edited by Dustin2128; November 29th, 2010 at 02:51 AM.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dustin2128,

I've always just used a speaker (or, technically, the speaker magnet).

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jmszr View Post
    Dustin2128,

It takes more than a month for "subtle" magnetic distortions to appear on Telesets and Monitors.

A pure magnet, however, will show the effect immediately. Also, a stereo system that's not name brand, or old enough, will act like a pure magnet, and it isn't the speakers, usually, it's the main system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    It's around 12 years old. Should the internal one still work?

I live in a pretty rural area, it'd take me quite a while to drive up to the nearest tech store. I've got a load of DIY tools that generate strong magnetic fields though, is it true that you can degauss with a power drill?
    You could try it, though I'd wait until a bit before I needed to go to the big smoke. You could talk to the tech' dude(s) before hand on the phone & see how hungry they are. Solo owner run would probably be the most likely to be kind. That was what I used. I live in a rural area too. (thankfully )

Quote Originally Posted by jmszr View Post
    Dustin2128,

You could try that too, though I know speaker magnets are also one of the prime reasons people need to degauss in the first place.

Shame you don't have an old worn out 14" monitor to play with, you could refine your skills fist training on the thing -R&D. lol

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

people still use desktop speakers?
    I had to do it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    people still use desktop speakers?
    Strange as it may seem, before computers people used to sit in front of TVs all the time & sometimes they messed up their display with the usually unshielded stereo speakers.

Also, plastic shelves that attach to the top of a CRT monitor were quite popular. Some people get into trouble putting desktop speakers or the central speaker of a 5:1 system on top of that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wait, my center speaker is sitting on top of my monitor.

Oh, right, not a CRT. *whew*

I've used speaker magnets before, but since I have almost gotten rid of all the CRTs around here, I haven't degaussed anything in a while.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast