Thread: How can I enable wireless adapter?

Beans

How can I enable wireless adapter?

I am newbie at linux and Ubuntu and I have some problems enabling my wireless. I have spent many hours searching for solutions and couldn't find one for me (maybe don't apply it right - I am newbie). I have HP Pavilion dv6, dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu. At Win7 wireless is ok but at Ubuntu I can't enable my wireless adapter, so my laptop can't recognise any wireless network.

Plz help me get out of windows!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: How can I enable wireless adapter?

Welcome to the forums

Which wireless adapter is there?

If you have access to a wired network, plug it in your ethernet and the drivers might automaticlly pop up under system > Administration > Additional Drivers/Hardware Drivers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sikander3786 View Post
    Welcome to the forums

Which wireless adapter is there?

If you have access to a wired network, plug it in your ethernet and the drivers might automaticlly pop up under system > Administration > Additional Drivers/Hardware Drivers.
    I opened Additional Drivers, found "Broadcom b43 Wireless Driver" and installed it! The red (disabled) touch wireless button became blue (enabled) and everything is right!

Thank you very much .

By the way what that drivers are? There is an ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver. Should I install this too? It's for my graphics card, if I'm right...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

You are Welcome

Yes that FGLRX driver is intended for ATI graphics cards. Note that restricted drivers are not maintained by Ubuntu developers but we need them to utilize our hardware more efficiently. They are created by ATI or the relative hardware vendor.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedDrivers

You can enable them as they will provide 3d acceleration and better graphics.