Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big question here

Beans

Big question here

I downloaded ubuntu and put it on my usb stick, but when I go to boot it, my computer runs the little dots, at the end it says running, then restarts my computer only to come to the same thing over and over again. This computer is a new Windows 7 laptop, but for reasons unimaginable am not able to load ANY OS besides puppy linux from a cd. Any help is appreciated

Beans

Re: Big question here

Is there a way to upgrade from Puppy Linux to Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have to ask. Did you md5sum the download before you burned the ISO to the flash drive? Did you change the boot order in your BIOS to boot from the flash drive first. Try burning the ISO on a CD and booting from that (again change the boot order to boot from the CD drive first).
    No. You cannot change from Puppy to Ubuntu. Two different OS.
    Last edited by Rex Bouwense; November 28th, 2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Beans

I did not md5sum the download, I have no idea how to do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi

Read these.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

Also burn the CD on the slowest speed.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro

OK. When you download a very large file, you want to be sure that you got the download correct, so you perform a procedure that insures this. It is called an MD5Sum. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
    The example uses Ubuntu 8.10 so you have to put in the version that you downloaded instead of 8.10.
    Once that is done you have to burn the image to a CD or a flash drive to make it bootable.

Beans
    Distro

Matt, you beat me to the draw and you got the hash web site. I couldn't find it. I got so much stuff bookmarked that I really need to get in there and organize it. On top of that I'm at a big disadvantage only typing with two fingers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Rex has the right idea. When booting up our laptop and you are presented with the 'Hit <F2> to change settings, select the F2 and go to Boot-order. Your USB device should be listed. Follow the instructions to make the USB drive the first boot-device (just as long as it precedes the HDD)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi

Matt, you beat me to the draw and you got the hash web site. I couldn't find it. I got so much stuff bookmarked that I really need to get in there and organize it. On top of that I'm at a big disadvantage only typing with two fingers.
    Yes. I just had both sites open for a check i am currently running, so i had bit of a head start there. Ahh, the joys of downloading.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Also, if you are burning very large files, use the UDF filesystem on the CD. It kinda helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast