Thread: How would you upgrade this computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question How would you upgrade this computer?

How would you upgrade this computer if you had some 50-200$?
    I'm particularly interested your opinion on the graphic card.
    Planned os: win 7 + Ubuntu dual boot.
    Many flash videos are planned to be watched.
    Games: mainly graphical browser games (e.g. the west, travian, farmerama, fb games), no hardcore games.

Code:
    System information report, generated by Sysinfo: 2010. 11. 28. 3:19:22
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gsysinfo

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    	Running Ubuntu Linux, the Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) release.
    	GNOME: 2.28.1 (Ubuntu 2009-11-03)
    	Kernel version: 2.6.31-18-generic (#55-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 8 14:54:52 UTC 2010)
    	GCC: 4.4.1 (x86_64-linux-gnu)
    	Xorg: unknown (07 May 2010  06:33:21AM) (07 May 2010  06:33:21AM)
    	Hostname: Pumba
    	Uptime: 0 days 16 h 3 min

CPU INFORMATION
    	AuthenticAMD, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
    	Number of CPUs: 1
    	CPU clock currently at 2000.000 MHz with 512 KB cache
    	Numbering: family(15) model(47) stepping(2)
    	Bogomips: 4020.82
    	Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow up rep_good pni lahf_lm

MEMORY INFORMATION
    	Total memory: 2009 MB
    	Total swap: 1906 MB

STORAGE INFORMATION
    	SCSI device -  scsi1
    		Vendor:  ATA      
    		Model:  SAMSUNG SP2504C  
    	SCSI device -  scsi4
    		Vendor:  ATA      
    		Model:  Maxtor 6L080L0   
    	SCSI device -  scsi5
    		Vendor:  PIONEER  
    		Model:  DVD-RW  DVR-111D 

HARDWARE INFORMATION
    MOTHERBOARD
    	Host bridge
    		Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    	PCI bridge(s)
    		nVidia Corporation CK804 PCI Bridge (rev a2) (prog-if 01)
    		nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
    		nVidia Corporation CK804 PCI Bridge (rev a2) (prog-if 01)
    	USB controller(s)
    		nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a2) (prog-if 10)
    		nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a3) (prog-if 20)
    		nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a2) (prog-if 10)
    		nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a3) (prog-if 20)
    	ISA bridge
    		nVidia Corporation CK804 ISA Bridge (rev a3)
    		Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 815a
    	IDE interface
    		nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
    		Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 815a

GRAPHIC CARD
    	VGA controller
    		nVidia Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)] (rev a1)
    		Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 81ae

SOUND CARD
    	Multimedia controller
    		nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a2)
    		Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 812a

NETWORK

NVIDIA GRAPHIC CARD INFORMATION
    	Model name: GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)
    	Card Type: PCI-E 
    	Video RAM: unknown
    	GPU Frequency: unknown
    	Driver version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  185.18.36  Fri Aug 14 17:35:21 PDT 2009

Beans

Re: How would you upgrade this computer?

imho, it looks like a fairly balanced system. I don't normally say this but it looks as if CPU may be your limiting factor, or speed to memory. Flash is pretty CPU intensive. I don't think a graphics card is going to buy you that much because the flash based games don't hit a graphics card the way a locally run game would, or playing a DVD locally. what you should do is run perfmon or some performance tools in linux eg: top, to see what the bottlenecks are when you are playing flash videos, etc. For win 7 you might benefit from another 1Gb of memory, but at 32 bits there not sense in going all out on 4gb or 8gb of memory at this point in time. I see your drives are 7200rpm, you may want to look at optimizing your drives using hdparm. You can test the performance with something like hdparm -tT /dev/sda and see the results. For the money you want to invest, you may benefit from a small Sata based solid state drive, if your system supports sata. You could invest a million dollars in any system and there's always a bottleneck or limiting factor. The only way to know what the current bottleneck is, is by running some performance tests. The bottleneck can move too. For example if memory is the bottleneck, and you add memory, CPU can then become the bottleneck. If you upgrade the CPU, then the bottleneck may become the drive, or memory again. Don't believe all the ads you read...check the performance monitors, and avoid any setting that says something like "average". You want to read disk queue, not average disk queue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mitchd123 View Post
    imho, it looks like a fairly balanced system. I don't normally say this but it looks as if CPU may be your limiting factor, or speed to memory. Flash is pretty CPU intensive. I don't think a graphics card is going to buy you that much because the flash based games don't hit a graphics card the way a locally run game would, or playing a DVD locally. what you should do is run perfmon or some performance tools in linux eg: top, to see what the bottlenecks are when you are playing flash videos, etc. For win 7 you might benefit from another 1Gb of memory, but at 32 bits there not sense in going all out on 4gb or 8gb of memory at this point in time. I see your drives are 7200rpm, you may want to look at optimizing your drives using hdparm. You can test the performance with something like hdparm -tT /dev/sda and see the results. For the money you want to invest, you may benefit from a small Sata based solid state drive, if your system supports sata. You could invest a million dollars in any system and there's always a bottleneck or limiting factor. The only way to know what the current bottleneck is, is by running some performance tests. The bottleneck can move too. For example if memory is the bottleneck, and you add memory, CPU can then become the bottleneck. If you upgrade the CPU, then the bottleneck may become the drive, or memory again. Don't believe all the ads you read...check the performance monitors, and avoid any setting that says something like "average". You want to read disk queue, not average disk queue.
    I will have to second that, yes your card is old but it wont help you much for what you want to do... 2 Gb is more than enough so yeah, cpu would be what would make the biggest impact.
    Ubuntu Québec Loco team
    Étudiant en certificat en informatique à l' UQAM

Ubuntu 12.04 on Asus G73JW-A1

Beans

Depending on if your moterhboard supports it, a X2 socket 939 CPU would be a big improvement.

A video card upgrade would probably help as well, but not as much as CPU.

mitchd123 is right, a SSD SATA drive would help...probably a bit out of teh price range though. Even then, its only going to help with loading times, for desktop use then CPU would help a lot more. A newish SATA drive would also help, but not as much as a SSD (newer drives are faster.....the WD EARS (5400) drive I'm using now is faster than the old 7200 I was using before)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Adobe has promised us hardware accelerated flash video playback for some time now. When it comes out a, new low-end Geforce card like the GT210 or GT220 will do wonders. This already works under Windows.

Besides that i'll have to go with the others. CPU is the way to go. You current CPU seems to be socket 939, so the Manchester and Toledo Athlon 64 X2 CPU's should fit your system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of....2C_90_nm.29_2
    What? I'm not allowed to say fsck? Then how is i supposed to help people fix their filesystems?