Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install CUPS 1.4.5 on Ubuntu 10.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Install CUPS 1.4.5 on Ubuntu 10.04?

Hi,

I have a server running Ubuntu 10.04 with CUPS version 1.4.3 - the cups version that installs via the package manager. The latest stable release of CUPS is 1.4.5, but an apt-get update/upgrade won't update it to the latest version.

Is there any way to install cups 1.4.4 or 1.4.5 using apt-get? Or do I have to remove the package version and compile from source?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Install CUPS 1.4.5 on Ubuntu 10.04?

Cups 1.4.3 is the default version for Ubuntu 10.04.
    But you can download the cups 1.4.5-source.tar.bz2 file and it will install OK.
    First Extract, ./configure, make & then sudo make install. Will do the trick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks,

A few questions:

Do I need any arguments for ./configure?

And which packages are "covered" by the CUPS Source?I'm assuming that I need to remove the package version before installing the source version.

"apt-get remove cups" says it will remove "cups cups-driver-gutenprint cupsys foomatic-db foomatic-db-engine ghostscript-cups". Is it safe to remove them all? (ie. will they exist again after installing from source)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

no more recent cups (natty=1.4.4-7) (you can get it by temporary changing the /etc/apt/sources.list from maverick to natty, then updating and installing the cups packages, and reverting then to maverick and updating again to stay tuned with maverick)

https://launchpad.net/~maverick-bleed/+archive/ppa
    Last edited by dino99; November 27th, 2010 at 07:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Just download the cups file from:http://www.cups.org/software.php

Extract using R/H mouse click the file > extract.
    Using the Terminal:
    CD to the extracted file.
    Type> ./configure (thats all, this will run and check for any dependencys)
    Then> Make to compile the file.
    Then> sudo make install (to install, don't worry about removing the old version)
    Thats it,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I installed 1.4.5 from source per your instructions, but the configuration tool (http://localhost:631) still shows version 1.4.3?

EDIT: Never mind- I needed to do a "service cups stop" and "service cups start". Looks like it's working now. Thank you very much!
    Last edited by lightnb; November 27th, 2010 at 10:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm reopening this thread because I'm still having some issues with the new version of CUPS. It prints text files fine, but refuses to print png images.

For example "lpr -P MyPrinter SomeImage.png" adds to the print cue correctly, but its status is "stopped. unable to open image file for printing!".

Maybe I needed some ./configure option to get .png support? Or am I missing a dependency?

Beans
    Distro

Sorry to hear you are having problems.
    My best advice is to revert back to the default for Ubuntu 10.04 which is Cups 1.4.3. As this should work OK for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

We're upgrading because 1.4.3 has a bug which causes a 10 second spooling delay between adding a file to the cue and when it actually begins to print. This bug was not present in Ubuntu 8.04, and we're hoping it's been addressed in a later release of CUPS.

I think the issue with printing images may be related to the absence of certain header files. I've added the package "libpng12-dev" which I believe contains the png headers, and the configure script is recognising it.

I'm trying to add the other image format headers, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which packages they're in. Specifically, I'm looking for jpeglib.h and tiff.h.

EDIT: I think it's "libjpeg62-dev", "libtiff4-dev" and "libtiffxx0c2" that I want. Gotta love the intuitive package names!
    Last edited by lightnb; November 28th, 2010 at 05:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I have a delay like you say on one of my printers.
    Just a though, it might be worth giving our friend Dino99's (#4) version a try and see if cups 1.4.4-7 works for you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast