Thread: headphone jack sputtering

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry headphone jack sputtering

Hi there,

My serval's a couple years old now. I noticed that my left external speaker (connected via the headphone jack) was going in and out months ago but put up with it, and it's slowly gotten worse. At this point the left speaker/headphone is completely dead unless I squeeze the laptop the right way around the headphone jack. Thus, I'm fairly certain the jack itself is physically kaput. What options do I have and what advice can you give me? Is it possible to replace just the jack or would I have to replace a whole card or board?

Thanks in advance
    System76 Serval | nVidia 512 MB GeForce 8600M GT | Realtek ALC 268 | Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5 GHz 800 MHz FSB 6 MB L2 | 4 GB - 2 x 2 GB DDR2 667 MHZ | 200 GB 7200 RPM SATA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: headphone jack sputtering

depending on how its soldered inside, you are probably going to have to replace the board...its gonna cost alot, so if i were you, i would just put up with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just for ship of giggles, you might try your nearest, "Staples" store. They advertise, at least around here, they fix computers. Another alternative is to do it yourself. If you go that route, you might try e-bay for the parts. I find a lot of great upgrades, parts, and such for most of my laptops and desktops. Hope this helps...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

dont just run out and try and fix it

did you test and see if it was the speakers going and not the jack
    Here I will put a good saying.
    . you just lost the game.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for your input, guys. Can I please get some input from the System76 support staff? Do you guys do repairs, or can you at least tell me if it's something I might be capable of replacing on my own (and if so, what part I should be looking for)?

Thanks.

PS: This forum used to put my computer's info in my signature, but that's disappeared. It's a Serval that I bought in July '08. If you need to know anything else, let me know.
    System76 Serval | nVidia 512 MB GeForce 8600M GT | Realtek ALC 268 | Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5 GHz 800 MHz FSB 6 MB L2 | 4 GB - 2 x 2 GB DDR2 667 MHZ | 200 GB 7200 RPM SATA