Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu not Adjusting Fan Speed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Fan Speed Not Adjusting with Proprietary ATI Drivers

I've had this problem across several versions of Ubuntu and other distributions as well, and nobody has ever been able to fix the issue. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7829 with Ubuntu 10.10 64bit. Ubuntu detects the make/model of the laptop on install because it tries to name the computer accordingly. My CPU fan speed is always stuck on next to zero. It's just "barely" running at all. I did a:
    Code:
    cat /proc/acpi/fan/FAN1/state
    and got
    Code:
    I'm unable to make any changes to this file even as root. Can anybody lend me a hand at all? The problem is that any time I do "anything" somewhat CPU intensive my video card and cpu begin to heat up rapidly and I can't really get them to cool off. I don't have this issue with Windows, and the CPU fan is clean and clear of dirt/dust.
    Last edited by gerowen; April 24th, 2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Clarified Title
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu not Adjusting Fan Speed

I have a similar problem: Ubuntu 10.10 64bits on a laptop (HP dm1z). However, I get the opposite. The CPU is constantly at 53C (as reported by proc/acpi/thermal_zone/temperature) but the fan is running at full throttle and I can't get any info on it. /proc/acpi/fan/ is empty.
    Is there a way that I can know what the fan is doing? or how does it determine to go full speed? This just started happening.

Any advice, anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Re: Ubuntu not Adjusting Fan Speed

I agree that this is an issue. I have a Toshiba laptop also, and have no choice but to run WIN7 on it, since Ubuntu will cook my laptop. The fan runs either not at all, or V E R Y slowly, and temperatures rise rapidly. If left on, the laptop will reach a thermal limit and shutdown. WIN 7 does not have ANY overheating issue with this laptop, so it is not a dirty fan issue, or dirty heat-sink, or any other hardware related issue. Ubuntu 10.10 just can not manage the fan to cool the laptop. It is sad, I have used Linux almost exclusively for 4+ years, and have had to go back to Windows full time.

Beans

Hello all
    I have a Toshiba c655 and was having a lot of problems with usb. It seem the BIOS is buggy. I tried with the acpi turned off but that can lead to fan problems like those mentioned above, The best fix I have found involves editing ect/default/grub and edit it

add to line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=copy_dsdt"

This must be done as root and after you should run "sudo update-grub" in the terminal and reboot.
    I don't know if this will help the above problems but with my machine the acpi appears to operate normally with this edit. Hope this helps.

bob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is an old post, but it's still an existing problem. In Linux, my fan refuses to adjust speed. So whereas in Windows I'm just fine with maxing out my CPU for extended periods of time for whatever reason (updating virtual machines while playing age of empires), if I try to do anything for too long in Linux I'm forced to close it down to avoid damage to my computer. I can't even watch flash videos for more than 5 minutes. In Windows I have no such problems.
    -- Mark Twain

Beans

This is worrisome considering I plan to run 10.10 64-bit on my new dm1z scheduled for delivery on Monday.

Is there any course of action to elevate awareness around specific issues and encourage people to work on a solution? I'm a humble follower with zero ability to create the solution so I'm eternally grateful for those who can and do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Re: Ubuntu not Adjusting Fan Speed

Quote Originally Posted by fiacobelli View Post
    /proc/acpi/fan/ is empty.
    I have the same problem, with 10.10 running on an HP tx2500. Could someone who has a populated /proc/acpi/fan/ please a post a copy of what is supposed to be in that folder? Trial and error might get me somewhere from there.

Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by t0adman View Post
    Is there any course of action to elevate awareness around specific issues and encourage people to work on a solution? I'm a humble follower with zero ability to create the solution so I'm eternally grateful for those who can and do.
    Yes. Go to launchpad.net, find a bug report which is relevant to your problem, and contribute. Check the "affects me too" button instead of posting a "+1" message, to raise visibility of the bug. Read the comments, find out if anything is missing in the bug description (often the output of various console commands which are typically given; not more difficult than copy&paste), provide relevant details.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just wanted to let everybody know that after a couple of years I have FINALLY solved this problem. I'm currently running Debian 6.0.1, but was having the same issues. The problem lies in the proprietary ATI drivers that come from Debian/Ubuntu repositories. Here are the steps I took and my fan speed is now adjusting normally. I'm not sure which of these two steps actually solved the problem though, but if I narrow it down I'll let you know.

1) I ran this command as root in the terminal:
    Code:
    aticonfig --acpi-services=on
    2) I removed the fglrx driver that I got from the Debian repositories and installed the proprietary driver from ati.com.

I can FINALLY watch flash videos without my computer overheating in a matter of a minute or two, lol. You guys have no idea how happy I am to have finally solved this problem, lol.
    -- Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So I did a full shutdown/poweroff, then rebooted the computer, and the fan not speeding up again became an issue. I re-ran the following commands as root and rebooted again and then the fan operated normally, actually holding the temperature at around 70 celsius while doing operations that would normally make it peak out at about 95 before the computer would overheat and shut itself off. Kind of odd, hopefully this time it sticks.

Code:
    aticonfig --acpi-services=on
    aticonfig --acpi-display-switch=on
    -- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast