Thread: UFW and ports

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

UFW and ports

Hi all,

I'm going on a sort of security drive on my computer as so far with all my distro's I've never bothered to secure them more than the default, and I don't use any ssh or remote services.

I've just addded a lot more ad and script blocks to Firefox and I'm up to UFW and gufw, I had a look at
    HTML Code:
    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2
    which told me that every port up to 1055 is a stealth port, currently gufw says all incoming is denied and all outgoing is allowed, but nothings stopped working. Could anyone explain this port business to me (it's very very new to me) and what needs stopping or allowing, or as my systems probably a bit different, a way I can find out which ports are open and what ones I want allowed or blocked. Preconfigured rules available to me in gufw include services and programs, and theres a selection from ssh to FTP, to qTorrent. A lot of stuff I'm reading says to use a firewall and check ports, but doesn't really explain the significance and reasons behind it, and how to do it.

Thanks,
    Ben.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: UFW and ports

Have you read the stickey at the top of this forum on security there will be a lot of info in there, as a rule unless you are running a service as ssh " you said you wern't then a firewall is not needed also if you are behind a router they have built in FW normally
    DUAL BOOT XP & Natty, Trying LFS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The reason everything still works is that under a default configuration, any connections that are initiated by you or that are related to connections initiated by you will be allowed. Connections initiated from external sources will not be allowed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi thanks, that's good to know, reading the security guides for Ubuntu, I don't believe I saw a way/command to view active ports and such. How would I do this? out of pure interest?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Axolotl9250 View Post
    Hi thanks, that's good to know, reading the security guides for Ubuntu, I don't believe I saw a way/command to view active ports and such. How would I do this? out of pure interest?
    There is more then one way to answer this

netstat -an | grep LISTEN | grep -v ^unix

netstat -ntulp

lsof -i -n -P
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

You can use nmap to scan for open ports. If you run it from an external machine, you'll see what's open to the Internet. (sudo apt-get install nmap)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Axolotl9250 View Post
    Hi all,

Could anyone explain this port business to me (it's very very new to me)
    I'm not sure how basic you would like to go on learning about ports but I would suggest that for a basic understanding you check out Security Now Episode #43 (Open Ports) at GRC (the same site you used to test your firewall.)

Here is the URL:
    http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm
    With links to text and audio files. This show is windows-centric but still covers a lot of great basic ideas that are cross platform.

Hopes this helps!
    "I laugh in the face of danger, then I run and hide until it goes away" - Xander Harris

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    You can use nmap to scan for open ports. If you run it from an external machine, you'll see what's open to the Internet. (sudo apt-get install nmap)
    If you want a graphical interface, use zenmap =)
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface