Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some guidance with terminal error messages please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Some guidance with terminal error messages please

I have 2 recent Natty re-installs.
    On both of them I have done several grub changes, including grub splash images and deleting Memtest and recovery menu entries. I have also done many similar changes in other installations, 10.04 and 10.10
    I usually use gksu gedit /etc/default/grub to make the changes and have no problems.

In the last couple of days I have been trying to delete recovery items from the grub menu in both Natty installs but am getting errors in the terminal window. The first couple of errors appear as soon as I execute the gksu command and the other errors appear on trying to save the changes I've made. I even tried sudo gedit /etc/default/grub but got the errors in the second display.
    Code:
    natty64@natty64-VGN-AR51SU:~$ gksu gedit /etc/default/grub

(gedit:1731): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.FV35LV': No such file or directory

(gedit:1731): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:1731): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.VZWLMV': No such file or directory

(gedit:1731): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory
    Code:
    natty64@natty64-VGN-AR51SU:~$ sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

(gedit:2397): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to rename '/root/.recently-used.xbel': No such file or directory

(gedit:2397): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.O3WHMV': No such file or directory

(gedit:2397): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:2397): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.9FQNMV': No such file or directory

(gedit:2397): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:2397): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.6D8DMV': No such file or directory

natty64@natty64-VGN-AR51SU:~$
    And gksudo gives simlar errors.

Am I missing something?
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Is it a bug in Natty?

Thanks for your time
    Last edited by Quackers; November 26th, 2010 at 10:26 PM.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Re: Some guidance with terminal error messages please

It means that the directory /root/.local/share/ does not exist.

Workaround (1): ignore the issue, (2) create that directory manually.

Solution don't use gedit or gksudo to edit files with elevated permissions. Use sudo in combination with commandline tools instead such as e.g. nano. It is not a bug it is simply using the wrong tools (GTK apps) for the job (sensitive system administration tasks): you see the GTK app attempting to spew random garbage as root.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I appreciate the advice.
    However I tried to create the file using sudo touch and permission was denied. If you could shed some light in this area it would be appreciated.

Your answer also brings up some questions.
    I have used this same guide by a member of staff here dozens of times in Lucid, Meerkat AND Natty without any problems at all. It is only the last couple of days where this problem has occurred and only in Natty.
    So it begs the question is Natty using a different file to store the changes temporarily or is Natty not creating the necessary file for some reason?

I have also attempted to use sudo nano without success.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How is editing a text file with a text editor using the wrong tool? IMO this is just a gedit bug (or GTK+ or whichever package is responsible for trying to write that file).
    Last edited by MacUntu; November 27th, 2010 at 12:10 AM.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by MacUntu View Post
    How is editing a text file with a text editor using the wrong tool? IMO this is just a gedit bug.
    That would seem to be the obvious answer to me.
    I was after clarification, not a telling off
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

This is not a GTK/gedit bug but a GTK/gedit feature getting in your way. Considering this GTK/gedit behaviour to track last used files a bug is much like complaining that a hammer doesn't work very well when attempting to fit screws.

Again if you want to, you can ignore the problem or create that directory to make the warnings go away; alternatively you can solve it by not using GTK/gedit for tasks it is not intended to do (system administration).
    Last edited by Reiger; November 27th, 2010 at 03:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Reiger View Post
    This is not a GTK/gedit bug but a GTK/gedit feature getting in your way. Considering this GTK/gedit behaviour to track last used files a bug is much like complaining that a hammer doesn't work very well when attempting to fit screws.

Again if you want to, you can ignore the problem or create that directory to make the warnings go away; alternatively you can solve it by not using GTK/gedit for tasks it is not intended to do (system administration).
    I beg to differ with you , either gedit is fubar right now or something else is . I have gedit 2.91.2-0ubuntu1~build2 installed (amd64) and am up to date . when I try to start gedit I get

Code:
    ron@ron-desktop2:~$ gedit

** (gedit:12482): WARNING **: Could not load Gedit repository: Typelib file for namespace 'Gedit', version '3.0' not found

(gedit:12482): libpeas-WARNING **: Type not found in introspection: 'GeditAppActivatable'

** (gedit:12482): CRITICAL **: g_callable_info_get_n_args: assertion `info != NULL' failed

** (gedit:12482): CRITICAL **: g_callable_info_get_n_args: assertion `info != NULL' failed

** (gedit:12482): CRITICAL **: g_callable_info_get_arg: assertion `info != NULL' failed

** (gedit:12482): CRITICAL **: g_arg_info_get_type: assertion `info != NULL' failed

** (gedit:12482): CRITICAL **: g_arg_info_get_direction: assertion `info != NULL' failed
    Segmentation fault
    ron@ron-desktop2:~$
    note just straight gedit no sudo or gksu . trying to start from icon the same except ofcourse it don't tell why it isn't starting , furthermore running
    Code:
     ubuntu-bug gedit
    returns that this is not a genuine ubuntu package ????
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As I have said I have tried to create the file and it failed.
    Your comments do not answer the point that the same commands have been used dozens of times in 3 different Ubuntu flavoured installs without any problem. This includes Natty. The last time was 3 days ago! Why then and not now? This is partly my point.

As I said previously I am following a guide by a member of staff which I have used many times without problems.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    I beg to differ with you , either gedit is fubar right now or something else is . I have gedit 2.91.2-0ubuntu1~build2 installed (amd64) and am up to date . when I try to start gedit I get
    ... a completely different problem? Look at the warnings in the OP and compare them with the broken mess your gedit is in. Not nearly the same thing is it?

Post #1 is about GTK/gedit tracking some meta information about what files were last edited (going by the name of the file). This requires a proper environment be set up in the user's home directory (under ~/.local, which in case of root maps to /root/.local/) which appears not to be the case for the user “root”.

Beans
    Distro

I was indicating that gedit is having problems right now , The OP's complaint is a bug , I have been using gedit with root privileges for years without ever having to specifically create a "/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel" or ANY file in /root . That file should be created by gedit itself without any user interaction .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast