Thread: I need help disabling Kernel Mode Setting!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I need help disabling Kernel Mode Setting!

First, I would like to say thank you to all those who reply to this. Now then, I really need to have an up-to-date installation guide for installing Ubuntu with the "nomodeset" GRUB/Kernel boot argument. I have an ATI Radeon X1350 Pro that has always caused me trouble regardless of which distro I use (I have used Ubuntu 10.04 as well as OpenSUSE 11.3 on the machine in question). Over at the OpenSUSE forums, I was informed that the issue I had experienced, which was a blank screen at boot up, was caused by my graphics card's incompatibility with Kernel Mode Setting. So OpenSUSE 11.4 is out, and after using OpenSUSE and KDE for a while I kind of want to go back to GNOME and Ubuntu. However, the KMS issues that I was having are still a problem. So I was wondering if anyone has an installation guide for Ubuntu 10.10 that includes steps to disable KMS, since OpenSUSE has a graphical tool for changing the Kernel Parameters I'm not exactly sure how to add "nomodeset" to my Kernel Parameters. Once again, any and all help is greatly appreciated!
    "You shouldn't ask such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try these: Why am I here?, Why do I exist?, and what is my purpose in this universe? (Answers: 'Cause you are, 'Cause you do, and 'Cause I got a shotgun and you 'aint got one.)"-Durandal 1707

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: I need help disabling Kernel Mode Setting!

You can add your kernel module at /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    or this link might help..
    http://calebflynn.com/node/4
    it would be good to back up your originals before making changes.
    maybe make a live cd before hand too. From what Ive read, it seems like
    not booting is what happens when this doesn't go right.
    ~Conradin~

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If all you want to do is add "nomodeset" to the kernel options at boot, edit the Grub2 configuration /etc/default/grub file ( gksu gedit /etc/default/grub ) and add nomodeset to the end of the following:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
    Save the file, then update grub:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank you drs305! Just one more question, how do I apply "nomodeset" temporarily? I know how to apply it on the Live CD, just not on GRUB2. I just need to know that so I can ensure that after I uninstall Vi$ta and OpenSUSE, I can install Ubuntu, then log in to make the "nomodeset" permanent.
    "You shouldn't ask such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try these: Why am I here?, Why do I exist?, and what is my purpose in this universe? (Answers: 'Cause you are, 'Cause you do, and 'Cause I got a shotgun and you 'aint got one.)"-Durandal 1707

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmaster94 View Post
    Thank you drs305! Just one more question, how do I apply "nomodeset" temporarily?
    From the Grub2 menu on boot, highlight the entry you want to boot, press "e" to enter the Edit mode.

Go to the "linux" line and add the "nomodeset" option to the end of the line.

Press CTRL-x to boot.

Changes made by editing the menu in this fashion during boot are non-persistent. It's a great way to experiment with boot options. You just have to remember what you typed so you can add it to the settings after booting to make them permanent.

When you don't have any more questions/issues, please mark the thread 'SOLVED' via the 'Thread Tools' link near the top right of the first post.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.