Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of switching from GNOME to KDE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thinking of switching from GNOME to KDE

I currently run Linux Mint 9/GNOME on my main desktop but am thinking of switching to KDE. The main reason being that the file managers seem to have more to offer than anything in GNOME and the DE itself just seems to look better.

So the question is, if I switch, what issues am I likely to run into? I would like to continue using as many of the same programs as possible and I know that a lot of them are going to require GNOME dependencies and either might not run or will run slow, but I'm not very Linux savvy and don't know much beyond that.

I would like to still use Compiz, Guayadeque, and a few other programs. If I am going to loose the ability to run a lot of programs I am use to just to get the nicer file browser and DE then it's probably not worth it.

I'm pretty familiar with GNOME now so I'm looking for some advice from KDE users, especially if you started with GNOME.
    Q6600 Quad Core @2.4GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4GB DDR1066 DDR2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Thinking of switching from GNOME to KDE

You can simply add KDE to your existing Ubuntu install.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    You'll be able to switch between KDE and GNOME at your login screen after clicking you username.

In fact you can have as much DEs as you like

KDE vs GNOME is a long debate. Both have their own fan-base so instead of commenting on that, I would advise you try it yourself and adopt the one that best suits you.

And you'll have the apps from both DEs if you install both of them on the same install. So no need to worry about libraries and all that.

Good Luck!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sikander3786 View Post
    You can simply add KDE to your existing Ubuntu install.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    You'll be able to switch between KDE and GNOME at your login screen after clicking you username.

In fact you can have as much DEs as you like

KDE vs GNOME is a long debate. Both have their own fan-base so instead of commenting on that, I would advise you try it yourself and adopt the one that best suits you.

And you'll have the apps from both DEs if you install both of them on the same install. So no need to worry about libraries and all that.

Good Luck!
    I think you should explain this further: by doing this you just end up with a messed up desktop that contains all the apps. from both, gnome and kde. I would think most people don't want this.

I've heard (but not tried myself)that compiz causes problems very often but Guayadeque runs without issues.

Good luck
    Best Linux Player: Guayadeque

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

by doing this you just end up with a messed up desktop that contains all the apps. from both, gnome and kde. I would think most people don't want this.
    This is what the OP posted that they wanted to use GNOME apps on KDE.

I would like to continue using as many of the same programs as possible and I know that a lot of them are going to require GNOME dependencies
    So that didn't need more explanation in my opinion

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sikander3786 View Post
    This is what the OP posted that they wanted to use GNOME apps on KDE.

So that didn't need more explanation in my opinion
    Well I don't really want to argue on this one but I've seen that advice given far too many times on these forums and it is generally wrong, so maybe I wasn't just responding to you

Having said that it is not quite the same to transfer two or three of your preferred apps to a different desktop or to have two full desktops in one (with all the libraries, background process, etc..)Everyone is free to try (I have) but when giving advice it should be discouraged.

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by camaron1 View Post
    Well I don't really want to argue on this one but I've seen that advice given far too many times on these forums and it is generally wrong, so maybe I wasn't just responding to you

Having said that it is not quite the same to transfer two or three of your preferred apps to a different desktop or to have two full desktops in one (with all the libraries, background process, etc..)Everyone is free to try (I have) but when giving advice it should be discouraged.

Regards
    Well, like I said, I don't know a whole lot about Linux. But I've been around the forums enough to know that it's probably a bad idea to install multiple D/Es. I'd rather not do that on my main desktop anyway. I'm thinking of installing Mint 9 KDE or U10.10KDE on one of my other PCs until I get the hang of KDE, then switching the main desktop.

Have any of you switched from GNOME to KDE? If so, what did you have to adjust to or find a work around for. Any programs you couldn't use anymore?
    Q6600 Quad Core @2.4GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4GB DDR1066 DDR2

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon421 View Post
    Well, like I said, I don't know a whole lot about Linux. But I've been around the forums enough to know that it's probably a bad idea to install multiple D/Es. I'd rather not do that on my main desktop anyway. I'm thinking of installing Mint 9 KDE or U10.10KDE on one of my other PCs until I get the hang of KDE, then switching the main desktop.

Have any of you switched from GNOME to KDE? If so, what did you have to adjust to or find a work around for. Any programs you couldn't use anymore?
    I haven't personally used the KDE desktop, only KDE apps within Gnome. Programs should mainly work (but might lose some desktop integration). I think you just need to try and see how it goes. I don't know what apps you'r talking about but I obviously understand that you want to keep Guayadeque (not a GTK app). On the other hand you'll probably find that you'll find good kde equivalents for your gnome software.

Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Been using Gnome for a little over a year now. I installed KDE a couple weeks ago. Been living in it since.

However, I don't use any apps that are solely Gnome dependent so I didn't come across any problems that way. Also, I'm not using Compiz - just settled for the KDE desktop effects which are quite nice, IMO.

Seems to work great for me. Your mileage may vary.

Worst case scenario - log out then back into Gnome. No big deal.

Beans

there is absolutely no problem having kde and gnome installed!
    you can install both and you can remove any of them afterwards without problems.

when you log into one of them there is nothing messed up. when you are in kde and start a gnome/gtk program then only the required libs get loaded. same vice versa.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

long time linux user here with the best advice i can offer and totally agree with camaron, you don't want multiple de's

reasons

1) pain in the butt to remove and restore unless you know "exactly" what you are doing.

2) kde is a bit heavier and your system may not do well and your kde experience could be bad.

3) there is absolutely no reason to destroy a perfectly good setup because most beginners i know usually have to clean install after doing such things.

4) the ones that give the advice to do these things aren't always around to help you out of the situation.

5) there are serious bugs in different desktop environments, in this case ones you have yet to experience.

take my great advice and install kubuntu in virtualbox, on another hard drive, on another computer, try it on someone else's computer because it would be a meaningless and inaccurate representation of kubuntu when installed along side of other de's and you may not like the affects.

but with anyone results may vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast