Thread: Samsung Captivate Connection issues

Hybrid View

Beans

Samsung Captivate Connection issues

Been using Ubuntu for a while, recently got a new android phone and when I connect it, the phone recognizes that it has been plugged in and so does the computer. However, I am unable to open, edit or add anything to either of the phones memory cards,
    Do i need special drivers...
    or something to run them.

I have a dell Inspiron E1705
    Samsung Captivate running stock 2.1
    Am running single boot Ubuntu desktop, as well as the KDE and netbook interfaces, not that it should matter..

Will gladly provide more information, if you can tell me where to get it from.
    thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Samsung Captivate Connection issues

I know this is a couple of weeks old but,

Go to settings> applications> USB Settings> select "ask on connection". When you plug in your USB go to your notification bar at the top where you see the USB symbol and press and hold then pull down the notification bar, you should see a notification saying "USB Connected" select it and it will give you the option to mount your phone.

Thats how I do it anyways. Hope this helps whoever see's it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was having similar issues mounting the internal SD card for my Sony Captivate i897.

(FYI, I'm running Ubuntu Lucid Lynx)

Plug in the Phone using the USB cable.
    When promped, select "Mass Storage" on the phone.
    In the status bar there should be a notification that USB Storage was activated. Tap it and it'll pop up a message asking if you want to mount the SD card. Click "Mount" and the SD card appears on the left panel in the file manager in Ubuntu.

You can them mount it and transfer files as needed.

Hope that helps!

Beans

Ok that solved it thank you.

Beans

that solved my question too. muchly thanks
    League of Extraordinary Penguins (tm)

Beans

I noticed, using a Samsung Captivate, I cannot use the Ubuntu OS to edit or change anything on my phone. It doesn't open any zip files correctly. My question, is there some sort of trick to getting my phone to do all the neat tricks I would like it to do using Ubuntu?

I can transfer files just fine, but if thats all I can do, then Ubuntu is not for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by u2v2a0 View Post
    Been using Ubuntu for a while, recently got a new android phone and when I connect it, the phone recognizes that it has been plugged in and so does the computer. However, I am unable to open, edit or add anything to either of the phones memory cards,
    Do i need special drivers...
    or something to run them.

I have a dell Inspiron E1705
    Samsung Captivate running stock 2.1
    Am running single boot Ubuntu desktop, as well as the KDE and netbook interfaces, not that it should matter..

Will gladly provide more information, if you can tell me where to get it from.
    thanks
    You should not need drivers for Captivate to work on Ubuntu, but like you, I still wonder if thats true. Am having issues as well working my phone on Ubuntu.