Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: share tips on how to make ubuntu 10.10 faster

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

share tips on how to make ubuntu 10.10 faster

List any ways to speed up ubuntu here. If they have known concequences you can list them too . There are only a few I have heard.

1) move the tmp folder (or at laest the browser's tmp if you use a lot of RAM or have large tmp files) to RAM

cons: uses RAM, if you burn DVDs or sometimes CDs tmp is BIG (browser only does not tend to be too much space)

2) Disable unneeded services at boot (helps most with boot, but also can keep system running faster)

3) concurrent booting (only helps boot speed not as handy)
    con: needs multi-core or hyper-threaded CPU (or multiple CPUs )

4) if you don't use all of your RAM lower swappiness, if you use a lot of RAM but have less increase swappiness

5) increase writeback time
    con: powerfailures cause more loss

Any other tips that people care to share? They can be for newer computers or older computer, 32-bit or 64-bit, what ever system .
    Last edited by nolag; November 25th, 2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: forgot one

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: share tips on how to make ubuntu 10.10 faster

When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Ubuntu no longer has a preemptive kernel (though the generic kernel is perfect for most things). Perhaps compile your own kernel with 1000hz. I have seen nothing to recommend full preemption for a simple desktop/laptop though. The default voluntary works fine for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

My Ubuntu is already fast so I don't have any idea how to make it faster but for Window 7 I might have some idea. Recently I found my brother's computer with Window 7 was getting slow when copying some files. So I just give him some tips like defrag the hard disk, check for virus, clean the registery and blah, blah, blah.

Beans

Among the greatest boosts to Ubuntu speed it is installing the system and ~ on an SSD. While that's not a free tweak, the performance improvement is of such magnitude to be worth a mention. On new builds, if it's possible, find a way to work it into the budget.

The modern-day desktop experience is primarily bottlenecked at the disk.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nolag View Post
    List any ways to speed up ubuntu here. If they have known concequences you can list them too . There are only a few I have heard.

1) move the tmp folder (or at laest the browser's tmp if you use a lot of RAM or have large tmp files) to RAM

cons: uses RAM, if you burn DVDs or sometimes CDs tmp is BIG (browser only does not tend to be too much space)

2) Disable unneeded services at boot (helps most with boot, but also can keep system running faster)

3) concurrent booting (only helps boot speed not as handy)
    con: needs multi-core or hyper-threaded CPU (or multiple CPUs )

4) if you don't use all of your RAM lower swappiness, if you use a lot of RAM but have less increase swappiness

5) increase writeback time
    con: powerfailures cause more loss

Any other tips that people care to share? They can be for newer computers or older computer, 32-bit or 64-bit, what ever system .
    You could rewrite the entire graphics stack, including the desktop environment, according to professional development standards. That would make the GUI faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by nolag View Post
    List any ways to speed up ubuntu here. If they have
    i think the response issues are solely related to old hardware, i have an ultra heavy kde environment going snappy with a dual core amd with 4 gigs of ram.

consider a new system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you all for the replys , I will try some of them for sure (when I have some free time) and post my results. If you come up with more feel free to post them. If I recall the 200 line thing will be in 11.04, so it may be better to wait since my new kernel would no longer be supported (+ I have never compiled a kernel so I would not want to break it). I would try the script that can increase preformance by doing the same thing in userland. From what I have been reading, there are some other folders that can be moved to RAM to increase speed as well (that don't take up too much space). /tmp seems like a bad idea for those who burn dvds since it takes too much space :'(.

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    Ubuntu no longer has a preemptive kernel (though the generic kernel is perfect for most things). Perhaps compile your own kernel with 1000hz. I have seen nothing to recommend full preemption for a simple desktop/laptop though. The default voluntary works fine for me.
    How do you set how often it is preemptive? Also I read somewhere that the linux new kernel are preemptive?

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    You could rewrite the entire graphics stack, including the desktop environment, according to professional development standards. That would make the GUI faster.
    I don't know how to do that, but I will look it up. Just to get me started are we talking about like gnome/kde or kernel stuff that integrates with x? (Also how large a project are we talking, this sounds like it may be more than I can do )

Quote Originally Posted by inobe View Post
    i think the response issues are solely related to old hardware, i have an ultra heavy kde environment going snappy with a dual core amd with 4 gigs of ram.

consider a new system.
    I have no speed issues either (core i7 4 cores 4GB RAM), but there is always a way to make things faster, say dvd ripping/burning, browsers, benchmarks, folding at home, and more.

Beans

Well technically I worded that poorly. It is certainly preemptive, just you might see more responsiveness (less speed on full preemption and 1000hz) and sorry it requires a kernel build. If I think of anything for you I will bump this thread.

For most machines if you want to avoid touching the disk set swappiness to 20.
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf
    Add this to the bottom of the file, and then press ctrl+X to save:
    Code:
    vm.swappiness = 20

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    Well technically I worded that poorly. It is certainly preemptive, just you might see more responsiveness (less speed on full preemption and 1000hz) and sorry it requires a kernel build. If I think of anything for you I will bump this thread.

For most machines if you want to avoid touching the disk set swappiness to 20.
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf
    Add this to the bottom of the file, and then press ctrl+X to save:
    Code:
    vm.swappiness = 20
    lol yeah, I was thinking of setting it to 10 (well 0 for me, I have no swap space ) but 10 on a default disk).

Also I am just curious, do you know what the speed is now or where that would be found in the kernel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast