Thread: MDADM RAID 5 resync freezes the system

Beans

MDADM RAID 5 resync freezes the system

i ran into a problem with my raid and found this thread which seems to be the same problem.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=939923

forwarded message follows:

i have been using ubuntu for a few years now and have had to refer to this site numerous times but im finally in need of some more help so i decided to post.

i have an old computer which i moved my raid into as it was taking over my new desktop.
    the old computer has a drive for the OS and 4-1.5TB WD green drives in mdadm raid 5. the os drive and one raid drive is connected to the sata on the mobo, two drives are connected to a sata pci card and the 4th drive is connected to another sata pci card. i just added the fourth drive a few months ago. it took a while to add it in but it worked fine. i believe the original two drives were the 'eads' version and the new two are the 'ears' version. if that matters.
    ANYWAYS!!
    it froze up the other day and after reboot, and reassemble, it starts right away into a resync. it doesnt get very far and then it freezes. have to hard reset. it was resyncing extremely slow, like 200k/s so i upped to min and max speed limits. didnt do anything at first but the next reset it started going faster. now it was only going to take 2 days instead of 2 months. it only gets to 1% or up to 5% before it completely freezes again.
    i found this thread and it is the closest related problem i could find but i dont know what to do because it automatically starts to resync after i assemble..

please help

thanks alot

Beans

Re: MDADM RAID 5 resync freezes the system

bump