Thread: Upload mail back to POP server

Beans

Upload mail back to POP server

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to Ubuntu. I've setup Evolution to get mail from my hotmail account and googlemail. I forgot to check the box 'leave a copy on server' and so all my messages have been downloaded and the server is blank.

Doh!

Is there any way of re-uploading these messages to hotmail so I can access them when I'm away from my computer?

The redirect feature only seems to be active for one mail at a time. If I forward them all how do I stop evolution from downloading all the forwarded mail?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Upload mail back to POP server

Hi, I made the same mistake of checking the box to delete from the server. I can't say I found a fix other than deleting my email accounts and re-adding them to evolution.

This does not mean that there is no fix for it, I am new to Linux and this was how I solved that particular problem.

Regards Tolf242.
    Last edited by cariboo; November 25th, 2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: remove huge font formatting

Beans

Hi, thanks for your reply!

When the account was deleted from evolution did it put the emails back on the hotmail server?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

setup evolution to connect via IMAP to hotmail (im pretty sure it's supported) then make a folder to hold the 'old' mail (this is a matter of preference) next, press ctrl-a and then drag all the old email that you accidentally downloaded into the new folder you just created.

You can do this with the inbox instead of a folder, but sometimes it's nicer to sort it this way.

I have also forwarded all the mail to myself, but sometimes this causes you to have duplicates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah hotmail doesn't do imap. But I think you can use activesync with hotmail + windows live mail or outlook to do a similar two-way connection to the server.

Or get a gmail account.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Depending on how much email we're talking about, you you just forward your email back to your Hotmail account?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1. Just send the lot back to your email address.

Beans

Smile Re: Upload mail back to POP server

Thanks for your responses everyone!

Was actually an easy non linux solution ... all the messages (4000+ of em! non-junk mail!) When they were transferred the server deleted them and put them in the deleted items folder. If you click the select all check box hotmail then shows a 'select all items in your deleted items folder' which then selects all the pages and pages of stuff. You can then move this back to your inbox.

Simples!

Thanks for the ideas anyway... hopefully this might help someone if they make the same mistake as me.

Cheers
    Chris

Beans

Talking Re: Upload mail back to POP server

Quote Originally Posted by geeky_chris View Post
    Thanks for your responses everyone!

Was actually an easy non linux solution ... all the messages (4000+ of em! non-junk mail!) When they were transferred the server deleted them and put them in the deleted items folder. If you click the select all check box hotmail then shows a 'select all items in your deleted items folder' which then selects all the pages and pages of stuff. You can then move this back to your inbox.

Simples!

Thanks for the ideas anyway... hopefully this might help someone if they make the same mistake as me.

Cheers
    Chris
    O.M.F.G.!!! You're my new hero, Chris! I don't know who you are or where you're from but I can tell you that somewhere in the big world, a Danish guy just threw out the world's biggest sigh and became your biggest fan!