Thread: Symbols in Open Office menus

Beans

Symbols in Open Office menus

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and am trying to review as many of the threads as I can.

I have installed Ubuntu 10.04/64 on my desktop and love it. So superior to the Windows I had been using. Everything works just wonderfully.

I do have one small problem: When I open OpenOfficeWriter, symbols appear where many of the normal characters appear in the command/status bars. Writer itself functions correctly. It is almost as though Writer has grabbed some character set for "File", Edit, etc. and is using it.

I went to "Appearance" and changed all the charsets to OpenSymbol, just in case. But, no change: same thing in Writer.I am attaching a snapshot of the Writer blank page.

Suggestions? Clues?

Thanks and best, AOM
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Symbols in Open Office menus

What language is your default? It looks like a bad font substitution.

Beans

GordinToronto,

Default in OpenOffice is English-USA. I also chose English-USA when I installed Ubuntu Netbook.

I've gone to Tools>Options--all the language options say "Default-English USA". The selection under Tools>Language>all text> is also set at English_USA.

I'm stumped. Thanks for the reply.

Best, AOM

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I'm also stumped. I read lots of messages in the forums, and I haven't seen any complaints which looks like this.

Beans

gordintoronto,

Thanks for having a look around the forums.

I'll just continue exploring possible causes. I reinstalled OpenOffice. Still does it. Bizarre.

Best, AOM

Beans
    Hidden!

I have a strong feeling I have seen something like this before ... but I've searched my notes, the OOO forums, etc and found nothing. I can't think what to do about it ...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aom View Post
    gordintoronto,

Thanks for having a look around the forums.

I'll just continue exploring possible causes. I reinstalled OpenOffice. Still does it. Bizarre.

Best, AOM
    If you uninstall open office, you should also delete the hidden folder .openoffice.org