Thread: USB hard drive is not recognized.

Beans

USB hard drive is not recognized.

My Thinkpad T510 laptop can't see or recognize my USB 1.5 TB Toshiba hard drive. It worked fine till yesterday. I have Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 installed on different partitions, and even Windows 7 can't see the drive. Strange thing is, that it works with 3 of my other computers at home. One of them running Windows 7, one Ubuntu and one Lubuntu. You just plug it in and it works. I wasn't doing nothing special like updating or installing something when it happend. Tried to run lsusb, fdisk -l and there is no sign that drive is connected even when it is. Disc utility or Gparted can't see it either. I changed the name and UUID, no help. I can't format it because I dont have such a big backup drive and it is almost full. Tried all usb ports. I don't understand how its possible that it works with other computers exept mine. Thank you for any ideas or help.

Update: I tried different usb drive and usb stick and they work fine with my computer. Still can't see my Toshiba drive though.
    Last edited by cooco; October 7th, 2012 at 12:53 PM.