Thread: Netbook remix personalization problems...

Beans

Question Netbook remix personalization problems...

I just installed UNR 10.10 on my HP MINI 1000 last night, and while I've been really excited to try it out, I have to say my first impression is pretty seriously disappointing. There are some very simple personalization issues that I am having a hard time overcoming. First, how do I add my own programs to the launcher? It seems to me that you should be able to drag an application to the launcher and drop it there, or if not that, maybe right click on an application and add it to the launcher, but I can't find any such setting? It would also be much nicer if I could right click on panels to adjust their properties for things like autohide. To me, autohide is a priority on a netbook. I am very attached to my screenspace, and that bulky launcher being there all the time is not going to fly. I have tried ticking the check boxes to autohide in gconf-editor but it doesn't seem to do anything (I assumed "bottom-panel" meant the side launcher panel, maybe I was mistaken). I would really like to have the launcher there but autohiding, and a desktop style menu bar as I find it much easier for accessing setting. I am prety new to linux in general, so part of the problem is probably just that I'm spoiled by the easy to use graphic interfaces in Ubuntu desktop. If anyone can help me out with any of these issues it would be greatly appreciated!

Hmmm, it looks like I posted this in the wrong section. I looked for a UNR section but couldn't find one. If a moderator could move this to the right section for me I'd really appreciate it.
    Last edited by trinitydan; November 24th, 2010 at 09:14 PM.

Beans

Re: Netbook remix personalization problems...

you should have read up on unity before hand.

1: to add launchers, run the program, then right click the icon on the sidebar.

2: there is no autohide

most people have chosen to use the desktop version & just tweak it to be netbook friendly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    you should have read up on unity before hand.
    Yeah, I suppose that is true, but I tend to learn about distributions from just trying them out. It's not a big deal if I have to reinstall Ubuntu desktop 10.10, I was just disappointed with UNR and hoping there was some way to tweak it to be more like what I was wanting.
    1: to add launchers, run the program, then right click the icon on the sidebar.
    Ahh, thank you! I figured there was something simple but I just couldn't find it.
    2: there is no autohide
    Maybe it's just me, but that just seems stupid. Maybe it's just still in development, but to me having that large of permanent clutter eating into a 10" screen is just not good.
    most people have chosen to use the desktop version & just tweak it to be netbook friendly.
    Yeah, I guess that's what direction I am heading too. Thanks for the reply!

Beans

Maybe it's just me, but that just seems stupid. Maybe it's just still in development, but to me having that large of permanent clutter eating into a 10" screen is just not good.
    yes, it is the first release.

now they decided to start over again, the next version will be made with compiz instead of mutter, it's rumoured to be the next default desktop ui.

you don't have to reinstall, the desktop version is already installed, you just log out & select it in the session menu. yours might be a bit messed up since you were messing with the settings in gconf-editor, you should be able to easily reverse what you did though.

Beans

Wow, well that alone makes it a lot better. I just logged in to a desktop session and it actually looks great with the autohide features I enabled. Now I can set about tuning it up. It is very nice to just be able to switch right back to desktop just like that. My wireless driver is still setup and I don't have to download updates again. Again, thanks for the help!