Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanity please: No one has said that Ubuntu will become rolling-release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sanity please: No one has said that Ubuntu will become completely Rolling Release

I know there is a thread about this, but most people is just going to read the first post, and it does contain a bit of FUD.

First of all, let's read the actual quote from Mark Shuttleworth:
    "Today we have a six-month release cycle," Shuttleworth said. "In an internet-oriented world, we need to be able to release something every day.

"That's an area we will put a lot of work into in the next five years. The small steps we are putting in to the Software Center today, they will go further and faster than people might have envisioned in the past."
    This doesn't sond like a true rolling release, it sounds like the core system will remain consistent, while only the userland applications, which is what the Software Center is mostly aimed towards, will be kept up-to-date.

Also, note that he doesn't say "do a release every day," just "release something every day."

It's definitely great news, but please don't blow this out of proportion.

Matthew Paul Thomas, an Ubuntu developer, added this in the other thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by mpt View Post
    It’s no secret that for more than five years, Mark has wanted a daily build of Ubuntu, codenamed Grumpy Groundhog. However, that would only ever be for testing, not for release.

It’s easy for Arch and Gentoo to have rolling releases, because pretty much nobody uses Arch or Gentoo. With Ubuntu, though, we have actual support customers, and actual factories pressing CDs, and actual training courses, and actual book publishers, and most of all, actual OEMs, who find it hard enough keeping up with a release every six months. Releasing more often than that would be hopeless.

Among other things, I do much of the design for Ubuntu Software Center, which Mark mentioned in his quote. By design, though, USC has pretty much nothing to do with the Ubuntu upgrade process. What some of us would like to do, however, is make it possible for application developers to issue updates for their applications on whatever day they feel like, rather than having to wait for people to upgrade their entire operating system. For an overview of that topic, see the talks that I and Evan Dandrea gave at UDS last month.

So, now you’re more informed than the people who read The Register, or OMG Ubuntu, or OStatic, or WebUpd8. Not because I’m telling you any secrets, but because the writers for those sites are just bad.
    Last edited by NCLI; November 25th, 2010 at 12:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Sanity please: No one has said that Ubuntu will become rolling-release

Thanks. I felt like the title of the article, "Ubuntu to Become a Rolling Release" (http://ostatic.com/blog/ubuntu-to-be...olling-release) did not accurately represent what Shuttleworth actually said.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for that, I actually quite enjoyed the thread, especially with mpt (Matthew Paul Thomas, Canonical's Interface designer), fanning the flames.

Beans
    Distro

party poopers!
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Those articles should include this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2jfzXaoF30
    Last edited by lovinglinux; November 24th, 2010 at 08:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can use Arch repos on Ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro

When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Essentially what he was talking about was an improvement over the current SRU/PPA system for getting updated packages into a stable release. Ubuntu's release schedule is designed to mirror Gnome's, there no suggestion anywhere of changing it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    Cool. Bookmarked.

Beans

I agree, it is very likely true that Ubuntu won't become a true RR distro. For better or worse.

What I picked up from the videos I've seen is that if Canonical doesn't find a way to compete with Apple & Google Android, then it probably won't be behind Ubuntu in 10 years time.

As I see it, Canonical are desperately trying to come up with a solution that makes Ubuntu competitive with the aforementioned corporations. Ubuntu doesn't have the numbers of users, the same kind of exposure to the masses, nor does Canonical have the billions of dollars that their opposition has.

The truth of the matter has hit home at Canonical & they are now looking for anything outside of the box that just might attract lots of new users.
    Last edited by handy; November 24th, 2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: disambiguation

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast