Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sanity please: No one has said that Ubuntu will become rolling-release

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Sanity please: No one has said that Ubuntu will become rolling-release

Quote Originally Posted by juancarlospaco View Post
    You can use Arch repos on Ubuntu...
    Yeah, and you can install Synaptic on Slackware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    Pure speculation all the way around do any of you really care; with like 300 or more open source platforms out there.
    I care.

I love this community, I think it is brilliant. This has to be the best Linux distro forum in the world. It has a huge user base, it is incredibly well/intelligently moderated & Ubuntu is trying to be better & in more diverse hardware situations as well - phones & other smallish devices.

I would be very sad for a while if the Ubuntu community got sick & died, I would consider it to be a great loss to the Linux community.

Beans

I think people are starting to realise that Ubuntu has lost the operating systems war. We had our chance when Vista sucked, but Apple came along and took our spot as the leading competitor. Microsoft gave it to us on a platter and we blew it.

Now we have operating systems like Android for bigger screens, ChromeOS and even Jolicloud (based on Ubuntu but alot better looking)coming out. Ubuntu is really struggling to find a place in the market. People are trying to come out with new ideas for Ubuntu, but those ideas have been questionable of late.

Ubuntu has lost it's direction and is trying (and failing miserably) to copy Apple.
    Last edited by Johnsie; November 25th, 2010 at 03:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    Canonical are comparing their own figures with those of much younger technology from both Apple & Google. Canonical is not going anywhere whilst their so called opposition is absolutely screaming ahead. This is what is freaking them out. (As best I can see anyway.) So they are seriously reviewing their business plan & searching for anything that can actually allow them to truly compete. 'Cause as it is, Ubuntu is no competition or threat, at least to those two mega corps anyway.
    Thing is, I don't think Canonical is trying to really compete with Microsoft or Apple right now, since the know their product just isn't quite there yet in some ways. It feels to me like they're fine with gradually evolving Ubuntu, and not expecting any big sudden leaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    I think people are starting to realise that Ubuntu has lost the operating systems war. We had our chance when Vista sucked, but Apple came along and took our spot as the leading competitor. Microsoft gave it to us on a platter and we blew it.
    No, we just weren't ready. Not to mention OEMs weren't ready.

Now we have operating systems like Android for bigger screens, ChromeOS and even Jolicloud (based on Ubuntu but alot better looking)coming out. Ubuntu is really struggling to find a place in the market. People are trying to come out with new ideas for Ubuntu, but those ideas have been questionable of late.
    Ubuntu is still by far the dominant Linux distribution accroding to Wikipedia's visitor statistics, so to say that it has failed seems a little pre-mature.

Ubuntu has lost it's direction and is trying (and failing miserably) to copy Apple.
    They're trying to create a user friendly interface. I don't think they're copying Apple as much as taking inspiration from them. All software takes inspiration from other software, just like books and movies.
    Last edited by NCLI; November 25th, 2010 at 03:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I think people are starting to realise that Ubuntu has lost the operating systems war.
    If so, it's of no concern to me. I use Linux (not just Ubuntu) and I won't be going back to using Windows, and won't be purchasing a Mac. I couldn't care less about what other people use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    If so, it's of no concern to me. I use Linux (not just Ubuntu) and I won't be going back to using Windows, and won't be purchasing a Mac. I couldn't care less about what other people use.
    ++

Beans
    Distro

I think people are starting to realise that Ubuntu has lost the operating systems war.
    You must be kidding me.

Ubuntu has not really entered the OEM war yet.

is testing the grounds right now.

They are looking to become established first in the business, server area and public sectors.

Now once they get unity and the new commercial base in software center ready, they'll really target the end user market.

expect them to really make a move by the next lts 12.04.

The only one that has a LOT to lose in the upcoming years is Windows.

Linux and apple are just gona go up.

We dont even need that much market share. Linux would be a monster with just half the market share that commercial OSs need.

We also just need a small % of the resources they need.

Its impossible to kill open source/standards too once established, thats why they're so afraid. Thats why they're gatthering patents, because the only weapon they have to attract consumers/oems is "ease of use" and we're pretty much there.
    Last edited by madjr; November 26th, 2010 at 12:29 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    Thing is, I don't think Canonical is trying to really compete with Microsoft or Apple right now, since the know their product just isn't quite there yet in some ways. It feels to me like they're fine with gradually evolving Ubuntu, and not expecting any big sudden leaps.
    Canonical are a business. They have business expenses, they need to make a profit & hopefully afford to be able to spend more money on development & marketing.

No, we just weren't ready. Not to mention OEMs weren't ready.
    The OEMs would quickly become ready if Canonical had an irresistable product. (which Canonical would of course love to have already created.)

As the market changes due to new technological releases, windows of opportunity occasionally open. The Netbook was one, where Ubuntu had a chance but was basically squeezed out for more than one reason. The hand-held devices market is another window of opportunity, but Ubuntu has basically been left way behind & can't catch up. Canonical know this & are trying to find a way to still get on that train, a train that is drawing further away every second.

Ubuntu is still by far the dominant Linux distribution accroding to Wikipedia's visitor statistics, so to say that it has failed seems a little pre-mature.
    Ubuntu is one of the big fish in a small pond.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    I care.

I love this community, I think it is brilliant. This has to be the best Linux distro forum in the world. It has a huge user base, it is incredibly well/intelligently moderated & Ubuntu is trying to be better & in more diverse hardware situations as well - phones & other smallish devices.

I would be very sad for a while if the Ubuntu community got sick & died, I would consider it to be a great loss to the Linux community.
    Is it care or just loyalty? This forum is a good one really the best I have found.

Really though things change, people change, and we have to try to adapt, if we can't; we move on if you get my drift.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ubuntu is as good as it is and getting better with each release even thought it is just 6 month apart. So whether or not it is getting ahead with the propriety competitor doesn't bother me. As long as it suits my requirement thats all that matter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast