Thread: Wifi Problems with 10.04

Beans

Wifi Problems with 10.04

I've tried searching the internet and the forums to find the answer to this problem, but I can't come up with anything.

When I'm on my home network (WRT54G with DD-WRT) on my netbook (Ubuntu 10.04) the entire wifi network will go down (every device connected wirelessly drops its connection) in what seems a download dependent manner. For example, when I'm just browsing the web it takes a while but when I start streaming video it usually goes out in about 2-3 minutes. I've tried to get the same thing to happen with my wife's MacBook, but I can never get the network to go down. I also just got a Boxee Box that's connected via wifi (until my 50ft ethernet cable gets here from newegg) and that won't take the network down. It seems to only be my netbook and I can't figure out why.

Having no idea where to start, I'll post the out put of iwconfig.

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"CHEW"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:40:10:10:00:03
    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=58/70 Signal level=-52 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    Thanks for the help everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wifi Problems with 10.04

That listing from iwconfig looks OK. My listing is similar. Your signal level is a reasonable 52 dBm. I do not understand what you mean by:

entire wifi network will go down (every device connected wirelessly drops its connection)
    Perhaps it is the router? Or Is there too big a load being put on the router?

Regards.

Beans

Re: Wifi Problems with 10.04

I don't think it's the router since it only happens when my netbook is on the network.

In regards to my explanation, it seems like all of the devices lose their connection to the router and then have to re-connect. Does that make sense? It's like the router isn't there for a second and then it's back, but every device on wifi has lost its connection and has to re-connect.