Thread: ibus not working on a fresh Kubuntu install

Beans

ibus not working on a fresh Kubuntu install

I just did a fresh install from the Kubuntu DVD with my language (locale?) set to Chinese (Taiwan). However, I'm now almost completely unable to type in Chinese.

After booting into KDE, ibus-daemon appeared to be running, but there was no icon in the system tray, and no response from ibus. When I went into the Keyboard Input Menu under Applications>Settings I found that no input method was selected by default. After choosing Chewing (新酷音) I can kind of type Chinese, but no character selection window pops up (which makes Chewing unusable).

I tried changing from ibus to ibus-kde under System Settings > Langages > System Language but it had no effect.

If I kill ibus-daemon and start it from the terminal, I get two ibus icons in the system tray (and a random flashing icon in the programs list), but still no character selection window.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do?

Beans

Re: ibus not working on a fresh Kubuntu install

try to install ibus from ppa
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ibus-dev/ibus-1.3-maverick

Beans

I just installed ibus from that repository and nothing has changed. The repository's site says that it's depreciated. Should I try the other one it links to?

https://launchpad.net/~ibus-dev/+arc...s-1.3-maverick

Edit: I just tried running "ibus-daemon -x -r -d" and now ibus (and Chewing) seem to be working perfectly. Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Dempf; November 24th, 2010 at 08:45 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dempf View Post
    I just installed ibus from that repository and nothing has changed. The repository's site says that it's depreciated. Should I try the other one it links to?

https://launchpad.net/~ibus-dev/+arc...s-1.3-maverick

Edit: I just tried running "ibus-daemon -x -r -d" and now ibus (and Chewing) seem to be working perfectly. Thanks a lot!

Thanks! The line "ibus-daemon -x -r -d" fixed it consistently!