Thread: virt-install, configuring a text console

Beans

virt-install, configuring a text console

Hey everyone,

Got something that's been kicking my butt for a few days now. Quick rundown of what I'm trying to do:

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 Server Edition for my host domain. I'm using QEMU/KVM to provision VM(s). I have not (and am trying to avoid at all costs) installed X windows. I can provision a machine just fine, using the virt-install script. The domain will start up, it says that I'm connected, verified through virsh. However...whenever I try to console into the guest domain with virsh (even with sudo), I get nowhere. It says I'm connected, but there is no prompt to enter commands.

From my understanding of the virt-install manual, under the "--nographics" section, I need to "have a text console configured on the first serial port in the guest (this can be done via the --extra-args option)." I looked at the "extra-args" option and it doesn't give a whole lot of guidance.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: virt-install, configuring a text console

I have been fighting the same things with RHEL5 for about 3-4 days with issues. This line seemed to help:

--extra-args="text console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200"

What I was having issues was that I was specifying and ISO image that I put local on the server. I mounted the ISO image then copied the files over locally. I then used the --location to point to the files instead of the --cdrom option to point to the ISO image.

The issue that I am having now is that the text install is not reading the input correctly. I then tried to point to a Kickstart file put it did not seem to like the local location of the kickstart file. I have should be able to do it via our kickstart server, but have not figured out how to use the bridged network connection yet.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Tim

Beans

Re: virt-install, configuring a text console

I finally got mine to work. This is what I ended up with:

virt-install \
    --name timtest \
    --hvm \
    --ram 1024 \
    --file /u01/timtest.img \
    --file-size 10 \
    --nographics \
    --network bridge:br0 \
    --location=/u01/KS/RHEL5ISO \
    --extra-args="ks=http://kickstartserver/timtest.cfg text console=tty0 utf8 console=ttyS0,115200"

What worked best "text console=tty0 utf8 console=ttyS0,115200" The utf8 gives the color so you can see what you are doing. I even added the the bridge network and was able to use the kickstart server. I did find out that putting this in the kickstart file helps you come up with the console correct after the reboot:

bootloader --location=mbr --append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600"

My issues turned out to be trying to use the ISO image that I was using. I loaded it locally and things started to work. I may try going straight to the kickstart server tomorrow. SHould work, I hope.