Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slackware!!!?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Slackware!!!?

It has a DVD installer with lots of software on it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iksf View Post
    Is there any advantage over Gentoo though, seem to be targeting the same users
    I wouldn't say the same users. Slack is not a source distro, you don't get to build and customize slack the way you would with Gentoo. The Slack installer is a lot like Ubuntu's alternate installer (or Debian), it takes you step by step all the way to KDE or XFCE and it only installs pre-compiled packages. The source building for Slack comes for some additional packages via slackbuilds.org, however, those are not customizable either (you can edit the scripts yourself, but it is not the same as use flags).

Gentoo users like to customize and tinker with the system itself. Slack is build for users that want to set a stable system and then don't touch it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Inspired me....

One of the last distros for me to try. Installing in virtual box now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I take it the OP was not convinced to try out Slackware?

Beans

There's an old saying that if you learn Redhat you'll understand Redhat, but if you learn Slackware you'll understand GNU/Linux.

The lack of dependency management means you'll have to get your hands dirty.

It's definitely not for the faint of heart, casual desktop users, or even most server administrators.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12