Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 vs Linux Mint 10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 vs Linux Mint 10

Was just on Mint for about 6 months. I switched back because Mint does not really allow you to upgrade your distribution -- rather they recommend backing up and reinstalling from scratch.

I did read a wiki article outlining an upgrade (they even pointed out there it is not recommended to do it this way). Basically, change your apt source list, and dist-upgrade or aptitude full-upgrade. I chose the latter and was presented with a completely borked gnome.

That is my silver bullet, the nail in the coffin. For this reason alone, I will stay away.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Soldierboy View Post
    Was just on Mint for about 6 months. I switched back because Mint does not really allow you to upgrade your distribution -- rather they recommend backing up and reinstalling from scratch.

I did read a wiki article outlining an upgrade (they even pointed out there it is not recommended to do it this way). Basically, change your apt source list, and dist-upgrade or aptitude full-upgrade. I chose the latter and was presented with a completely borked gnome.

That is my silver bullet, the nail in the coffin. For this reason alone, I will stay away.

It is Also Not recommended to upgrade Ubuntu. Sure you can do it... done it plenty times myself... but it is hit or miss. Configs get screwed up often, Desktop behaviour can get weird and some things break. It is always recommended to do a Clean install even in Ubuntu.
    I use Arch as my Main as i prefer rolling release, Never have to bother with reinstalls. sweeeeeet

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by symon1980 View Post
    It is Also Not recommended to upgrade Ubuntu. Sure you can do it... done it plenty times myself... but it is hit or miss. Configs get screwed up often, Desktop behaviour can get weird and some things break. It is always recommended to do a Clean install even in Ubuntu.
    I use Arch as my Main as i prefer rolling release, Never have to bother with reinstalls. sweeeeeet
    Um...where have you read this? I've had minimal problems upgrading to the newest Ubuntu releases. There is no mention of what you speak in either the release notes or the official upgrade instructions:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/upgrade

Beans

Um...where have you read this? I've had minimal problems upgrading to the newest Ubuntu releases. There is no mention of what you speak in either the release notes or the official upgrade instructions:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/upgrade

I meant the majority of experienced users who give support on the forums generally don't recommend upgrades. I know Canonical mention how to do upgrades.... But like I said... it is hit or Miss. And I know that from experience. Maybe you are just lucky "so far" Sometimes the upgrade can go ok... But a fresh install is always best for any new version of ubuntu. Same with any O.S

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by symon1980 View Post
    I meant the majority of experienced users who give support on the forums generally don't recommend upgrades. I know Canonical mention how to do upgrades.... But like I said... it is hit or Miss. And I know that from experience. Maybe you are just lucky "so far" Sometimes the upgrade can go ok... But a fresh install is always best for any new version of ubuntu. Same with any O.S
    It's true. A lot of things are better since I upgraded to 10.10 (can I get a shout for flash that actually works?), but some things, a few weird things, are messed up; like I haven't really been able to use the new kernels since then. I think I need to backup and reinstall. Soon, soon.

Anyone know how to backup applications, by the way? it's such a drag having to go back through and reinstall all my favorites in my 'less than ideal' internet situation, and one of the programs I use the most requires me to add two repositories, and it has to be configured to kingdom-come when you install it.

I hate that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

They have a backup tool that makes it easier to do than with ubuntu (although I would like to make a tool like that for ubuntu). I tend to update my ubuntu system as well (after backing up), and I have never had a problem. I would do a fresh install sometimes if it saves a lot of bandwidth or I just feel like a fresh start though (or if something did go wrong during upgrade).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe of loath View Post
    Mint is really just the same OS as Ubuntu anyway. Sure, it's tweaked a little, and has a shiny new front end, but everything else is the same.
    To be fair, the same is almost true for ubuntu and debian. Granted, ubuntu makes more changes to debian than mint does to ubuntu (from what I experienced with mint). The main reason I switched back (I used mint when an ubuntu installer did not work in 9.04 and switched back in 10.10), was because the ubuntu release will be before the same mint one (not that it matters much the packages seem to be the same), and by a while. That's why if I made an ubuntu spin off it would be just added packages and small customization so I could make my relase dates within say a week of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I guess the main reason I prefer Mint over regular Ubuntu is purely aesthetics. Yeah, I know I could make Ubuntu look however but, I like the way Mint looks right out of the box. Ubuntu? Not so much. I also greatly prefer all my menus in one place (Mint Menu) rather than the way Ubuntu does it. It does however boil down to just one thing. No OS is "better" than the other. Use whatever makes you happy. Mint makes me happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

mint is less buggy
    KDE is the best

Beans
    Distro

Looking for a slightly lighter distro for a installation in a troublesome dell laptop a friend has. I set up mint 10 in Vbox runs way better then Ubuntu of any kind in Vbox, not all the bells a whistles but in a virtual it is hard to tell with pseudo graphics drivers.

I would say it is not bad didn't see what codecs were in the install just installed the ones I know work, but seems like a okay setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: Ubuntu 10.10 vs Linux Mint 10

Quote Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
    I guess the main reason I prefer Mint over regular Ubuntu is purely aesthetics. Yeah, I know I could make Ubuntu look however but, I like the way Mint looks right out of the box. Ubuntu? Not so much. I also greatly prefer all my menus in one place (Mint Menu) rather than the way Ubuntu does it. It does however boil down to just one thing. No OS is "better" than the other. Use whatever makes you happy. Mint makes me happy.

Completely Right, Well said

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast