Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 vs Linux Mint 10

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 vs Linux Mint 10

Fluxbox is horrible - it takes away too many necessary features and many window managers are nicer to use and more lightweight than it. If you want a *box interface, I'd go with Openbox or Blackbox.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    You can always install fluxbox in Ubuntu if you wish. I am fixing up an old machine for a friend. Gnome desktop even with Compiz is generally ok except for more computational demanding jobs so I have also installed openbox and fluxbox so he can switch to different desktop environments to fit the occasion.

From what I gather Mint is basically Ubuntu just with a different appearance and some proprietary stuffs preinstalled (it plays youtube out of the box without having you to install flash yourself) This is not a problem to most Ubuntu users anyway. I don't like the Mint interface, looks too much like Windows.
    Since I have to use XP also, I found myself getting mixed up with the buttons on the left side in Ubuntu. So in XP I would be dragging my mouse to the upper left to close/minimize/etc. windows. Using Mint makes the transition back and forth to be a no-brainer.

Beans

Oh look, it's this thread again. Anyone got any silver bullets?

I've used Mint ever since 8.04 turned out to be a heap of 6-month old manure. I like just having it ready to go from the off, and some of the Mint software is quite nice as well. Once upon a time it was Ubuntu with a new lick of paint and some codecs, but I feel it is more than that now. The community editions are moreso, and this difference will be highlighted when Ubuntu moves to Unity and Mint doesn't.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by smellyman View Post
    Personally, I hate the mint menu....all slab menus for that matter.
    Why would Ubuntu take a week longer to use? Because of Codec install?
    I agree. If it takes someone a week to adapt from mint to ubuntu, they might have bigger issues to begin with. I know a couple non-techies that had no problems using ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by guimaster View Post
    Since I have to use XP also, I found myself getting mixed up with the buttons on the left side in Ubuntu. So in XP I would be dragging my mouse to the upper left to close/minimize/etc. windows. Using Mint makes the transition back and forth to be a no-brainer.
    You can switch the buttons back to the right in ubuntu in like 5 seconds. It's a no-brainer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I loved Mint, even more then Ubuntu, until I found out that Mint would not be using the Unity theme or using Gnome 3. I feel that working hand in hand with Ubuntu was what made both Ubuntu and Mint more successful. I guess you could say it was sort of a dream to have Mint using Unity too, and helping to improve it.

Anyways, I love the Mint-menu (using it in Fedora 14) and I really like the preinstalled flash and codecs. The artwork and colours are awesome too! The Mint community certainly knows how to add bling to the OS!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by simpleblue View Post
    I loved Mint, even more then Ubuntu, until I found out that Mint would not be using the Unity theme or using Gnome 3. I feel that working hand in hand with Ubuntu was what made both Ubuntu and Mint more successful. I guess you could say it was sort of a dream to have Mint using Unity too, and helping to improve it.

Anyways, I love the Mint-menu (using it in Fedora 14) and I really like the preinstalled flash and codecs. The artwork and colours are awesome too! The Mint community certainly knows how to add bling to the OS!!
    not really sure, but they may have to move to something someday... probably gnome3 (aka shell), well as long as they can customize it as much as normal gnome2
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guimaster View Post
    I use XP at work, in my Mavrick installation I have the button on the right (I use an emerald theme which has the buttons on the right) whle in my Lucid installation I have the buttons on the left (just for variety) I never have a problem with the buttons. I don't know why so many people are complaining. In any case it is easy to move the buttons to the right.

Beans

I applaud Clem from LinuxMint to reject Unity and Gnome-shell at this time. Unity is garbage in it's current state (in my opinion) maybe it will get better? maybe it will always suck.... who knows... Gnome-shell sucks for now (we'll see how it turns out in april)

So it would be unwise for LinuxMint to make such an announcement that they will follow ubuntu's choices of the UI. There is nothing wrong with mint's implementation of Gnome... infact, it is superb! it's simple, it looks great, and it works.. why change it when the new innovations out there leave alot to be desired?

Good on ya Clem. To me, Canonical make ridiculous design decisions prematurely, like using Unity by default in 10.10 netbook. what a disaster....

I hope Mint just stick to Gnome 3 / Gnome-panel and improve upon it in future releases and Break away from Ubuntu to become more independant.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I agree with the previous, unity s the reason i decided to remove ubuntu from my netbook. I really didn't like the interface and it was all buggy and had so many issues (i tried it in the beta state tho, but still dont like it). I installed Kubuntu on my netbook and it was fine but i dont know didn't felt comfortable with it. Now im using Mint 10 on it and is amazing, simple, clean, nice menus.

I still using ubuntu on the desktop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast