Thread: rsync failed: Permission denied (13)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

rsync failed: Permission denied (13)

Hello all:

I have a Ubuntu box and just got a new hard drive. Rather than copy everything over from my old working Ubuntu install, I wanted to install Ubuntu from scratch and then rebuild the file contents.

I have a large collection of music that I use on my mac (another computer) and like to keep sync'ed to the Ubuntu box. The following script used to work flawlessly:

Code:
    rsync -avz --delete --exclude-from './music_exclude_list' '/Users/ryan/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/' 'ryan@192.168.1.200:/home/share/music'
    I run this from the mac and it syncs all my music files to the Ubuntu box at 192.168.1.200.

With the new hard drive, I created a folder at /home/share/music and changed its user:group to ryan:ryan. I also made sure that its permission is set to 755. Keep in mind that /home/share/music is currently empty.

Whenever I run the script, it skips the creation of every music folder like so:

Code:
    rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/home/share/music/wiseguys" failed: Permission denied (13)
    *** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***
    It repeats this message for every folder.

At the end, rsync gives me this message:

Code:
    sent 1612285 bytes  received 13858 bytes  130091.44 bytes/sec
    total size is 218579540279  speedup is 134415.94
    rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/main.c(992) [sender=2.6.9]
    Any ideas?

Thank you,

Ryan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: rsync failed: Permission denied (13)

Fixed my own issue...

It was that I didn't own the destination folder, root did. So I used the chown command on the destination folder to make myself own it, not root, and problem solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

A bit late: but this is probably because you need root at the other side of the ssh pipe.
    Try this:
    Code:
    rsync -a -e "ssh" --rsync-path="sudo rsync" /source/path /destination/path

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ryharv View Post
    Fixed my own issue...

It was that I didn't own the destination folder, root did. So I used the chown command on the destination folder to make myself own it, not root, and problem solved.
    Seems a solution was already forthcoming.

Thread closed.