Thread: reboot after update: bios issues

Beans

reboot after update: bios issues

I've just installed linux for the first time, and it was going great until i restarted after updating the OS and downloaded the driver for my video card. Now, it boots into what i think is called the command line interface...? i type in my my login and password which gets me this:

'your cpu appears to be lacking expected security protections.
    please check your BIOS settings, or for more information, run:
    /usr/bin/check-bios-nx --verbose

to run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
    see "man sudo_root" for details.'

after searching for solutions, i guess i need to enable the 'NX capabilities' in my bios but that option doesn't exist.. is there any other options or do i need an older ubuntu version?
    any help would be great. i dont speak all these languages!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: reboot after update: bios issues

NX stands for No Execute, and on Intel processors, it might be XD which stands for Execute Disable. I'm not an expert on the issue, but it seems like someone else came across this issue in this thread.

Beans

I dont think my BIOS supports this option and I've heard upgrading these is a pain in the ***. but i dont know.
    otherwise, how old of a version would i need to not require nx compatability? where could I get it, & once I got it would it simply update to require it?

i only almost know windows well, so i simply dont know all this jive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well I believe somewhere in the thread I linked to, someone said this was a new thing in 10.04. So 9.10 would be old enough really. I think the best thing you should do is do some research, find out what your BIOS is called or something, and what version it is, find out what processor you have, and see if there is a way to enable NX support. The best way to do that is perform searches on Google, and perform some searches on the forums here. According to the thread I linked to, this is something that quite a few people are experiencing problems with.

Disable check of expected security protections

I see the "check-bios-nx" message in a lot of computers, and because of lacking BIOS option to enable NX feature, now I remove the warning message:

Code:
    sudo rm /etc/update-motd.d/20-cpu-checker
    Narcis Garcia