Thread: External Monitor Failure (and maximized windows failure)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

External Monitor Failure (and maximized windows failure)

Using 10.10 + Unity, when I try to connect an external monitor using the Display Settings, it detects the external just fine, and works properly if I only enable one monitor at a time (external or laptop). Trying to dual-screen (external and laptop) results in each screen alternating flickering on/off 4-5 times until the "keep this configuration" option times out and restores to the previous setting. Using this monitor as a dual screen worked fine under 10.4, and I seem to recall it working OK for a LCD projector I had it connected to just after the upgrade. Package manager has updated me at least twice since the upgrade, so it could be a new version of something in the last week? I have rebooted several times, and the problem is persistent.

Additionally, after using an external monitor, any windows that were maximized do not restore properly - they have no menu bar and cover the left side icon bar and top bar. It is impossible to restore/unmaximize them, and the only way I have found to escape is to either alt-tab over to a (unmaximized) window, which permits me to see the icon bar, and close the program, or alt-F to the File menu and close. Alt-Space will not permit a maximize/unmaximize, nor will alt-F9.

Any suggestions or workarounds to these problems would be much appreciated. Thanks.

System: eeePC 1000HE, upgraded to 10.10 from 10.4 netbook remix.
    Last edited by marvelty; November 23rd, 2010 at 12:01 AM.