Thread: Problems installing windows 7 over ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Problems installing windows 7 over ubuntu.

My friend wants to install windows 7 over ubuntu as he is giving the laptop to his mother.

He says when he boots the disk he is getting warning signs with a no entry type icon. He is also being asked for a log key?.
    I have never installed windows 7 over ubuntu or anything so this is totally new to me, anyone know what this problem could be?

Beans

Re: Problems installing windows 7 over ubuntu.

A quick fix would be to change the harddrive and installing Windows 7 on that.

Otherwise I think the problem can be related to MBR and it's definitely located on the harddrive, so wiping that clean should solve the problem he is experiencing.
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Rave Gloves View Post
    My friend wants to install windows 7 over ubuntu as he is giving the laptop to his mother.

He says when he boots the disk he is getting warning signs with a no entry type icon. He is also being asked for a log key?.
    I have never installed windows 7 over ubuntu or anything so this is totally new to me, anyone know what this problem could be?
    Is it a MS released DVD?

I would also go to the windows 7 forums this is a windows install not a dual boot. They may have more info there.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Rave Gloves View Post

I found this a problem, you have to boot up using a ubuntu livecd, and delete all the partitions before installing windows.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.