Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: View computers on network

Beans

Question View computers on network

Does anyone know of an app that I can use to view all the computers connected to my network and the IP addresses to those computers?

Beans

Re: View computers on network

Quote Originally Posted by Vexiphne View Post
    Does anyone know of an app that I can use to view all the computers connected to my network and the IP addresses to those computers?
    If you know your network address and subnet mask you can use nmap like this:

Code:
    nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24
    That will ping every address between 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.1.255 and list those it finds. If you have a DNS server with the reverse ("in-addr.arpa") zone for the subnet, you'll get the hostnames as well.

You can also use "nmblookup -A" from the Samba suite with an IP address to obtain the Netbios hostname that Windows computers advertise. I've written a script that uses nmap to develop the list of addresses, then iterates over them and uses nmblookup to compile a list of their Windows hostnames. I don't know of application that does the same thing.

Beans

That was way to complicated
    Isn't there a simpler way of doing it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: View computers on network

I use etherape run from terminal with sudo command .
    Life is hard but fair it's the people u gotta worry about.
    AthlonIIx4 3gigs nvidia 9400gt 1gig
    750 & 500 gig HDD SD card reader 2 cdrw/dvdrw wireless. 23inch hp 2310m.
    Laptop HP G61 15.6 3gig ram.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vexiphne View Post
    That was way to complicated
    Isn't there a simpler way of doing it?
    It's a one-line nmap command; how simple does it need to be?

Remember you asked to see the addresses of all the devices. If you're looking for the equivalent of a Windows "Network Neighborhood" you won't find anything that meets the requirement of all devices. NN only displays machines advertising Netbios names. Routers, network-connected printers, etc., Linux servers, etc., won't show up in NN either. nmap will list any machine with an IP address.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There is a gui front end for nmap called zenmap. Then you can select ping scan from the drop down, and key in the network you want to scan.

Nmap for the most part requires root privileges. So use sudo zenmap to launch it.
    Cheers,

Cliff 8)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by camorri View Post
    Nmap for the most part requires root privileges. So use sudo zenmap to launch it.
    Only if it's scanning ports. I can run a ping scan as an ordinary user.

Beans

Question Re: View computers on network

If I could hop on your thread. I've got a mixed network, two Ubuntu machines, a Windows 7, a WHS Server, and a networked printer. On one of my Ubuntu machines, when I click Places, Network, it shows all the other machines that are turned on. On the other Ubuntu machine, it does not show the names of the other machines, (although it does allow me to connect to the server)

I can't figure out what extra software, or settings I have on the machine that lists all the other computers, but I would like to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Only if it's scanning ports. I can run a ping scan as an ordinary user.
    No you can't. -sP in nmap for non-root users does NOT send an ICMP echo (the "classic" ping). Instead, it send "pings" to ports 80 and 443, which will web servers will reply. So it's quite useless...

And that is not nmap's fault: the kernel only allows root users to send ICMP echo. The only reason a user can ping is because the binary /bin/ping is setgid , meaning it runs with root privileges even when invoked by a regular user.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast