Thread: Split partition on existing Ubuntu installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Split partition on existing Ubuntu installation

I have installedUbuntu 10.10 already. I want to splitthe hard drive and create a new partition at the end of the drive? Can I do this since I already installedUbuntu? If so, how? Or are there already posts in here aboutthis. I looked, but have not foundanything yet.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Split partition on existing Ubuntu installation

Yes, it's possible, but it always carries a risk and you should back up your data (and be prepared to reinstall) and if possible clone the entire system beforehand.

You'll need to run from a Live CD (you can't resize the partition while it's in use by the installed operating system). Boot the live CD, go to System > Administration > Gparted partition editor and in that tool, first shrink the existing partition (this may take a few minutes) and then create a new partition in the free space (should be quick).

Do you have just one partition on the disk so far?

You may find a swap partition, which a normal install of Ubuntu creates. You should leave that in place.

Remember you can wipe everything if you get something wrong. But if you're careful, it's straightforward.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Split partition on existing Ubuntu installation

Ok, I found this also. Luckily, I dont have much to lose at this point.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1219270
    Last edited by toolmania1; November 22nd, 2010 at 03:34 PM.