Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Internet Explorer

Beans

Install Internet Explorer

Hi,
    Im very new to Linux and Ubuntu.
    Anybody can guide me to install Internet Explorer in Ubuntu 10.04. Im try to install IEs4Linux-2.99.0 but get this error message:

"Downloading everything we need
    Downloading from microsoft.com:
    0% IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe
    Downloading from Evolt Browser Archive:
    0% ie55sp2_9x.zip!! Could not find a suitable Evolt mirror"

The process while installing.

Please guide me if there is any other way to install Internet Explorer in Ubuntu. I really need it. Thank you.

Beans

Re: Install Internet Explorer

You can install the Internet Explorer with PlayOnLinux.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    You can install it with winetricks also:

http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
    I just installed ie8 using winetricks but IE just kept freezing. I then installed ie6 & ie6_full but again IE still wouldn't work. I finally have ie7 working however is there a way to have flash/java to work as well?
    I ran winetricks flash and it says it installed successfully but ie7 still isn't using flash

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emoguitarist06 View Post
    I just installed ie8 using winetricks but IE just kept freezing. I then installed ie6 & ie6_full but again IE still wouldn't work. I finally have ie7 working however is there a way to have flash/java to work as well?
    I ran winetricks flash and it says it installed successfully but ie7 still isn't using flash
    I can't help you as I don't need to use any of the IEs.

I made the post in an effort to help the OP as they may not have known about winetricks being new to Linux & all. I hoped that winetricks would provide an easy solution to the problem...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Check out the Wine Application database for Internet Explorer
    The recommended Wine supported version is IE6

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ersion&iId=469

Also check out the Wine FAQ

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-69ca...7f09521c2a4843

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Githan13 View Post
    Please guide me if there is any other way to install Internet Explorer in Ubuntu. I really need it. Thank you.
    I am not sure exactly why you would need IE to work in Ubuntu... you haven't said. IE 6 is supported but badly. Basically Internet Explorer has too many hooks back into the Windows OS (which are not supported when running it in Wine). IE 7 and IE 8 support is even worse/less developed.

A native web browser (like Opera, Firefox, SeaMonkey, Chrome, Konquerer, etc.) is always going to give you a far better experience as an end user. Perhaps in the bad ole' days when IE had a monopoly it was a necessary evil but in recent times most webpages don't need activeX or other MS concoctions...

I'm afraid to say if you really can't live without Internet Explorer, in Ubuntu, the only option really is a virtualised MS OS (installed in VirtualBox, VMWare, etc). ReactOS isn't mature enough (even for a Virtual environment) yet.

Bob

ivanovnegro is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by bobwyajnr View Post
    I am not sure exactly why you would need IE to work in Ubuntu... you haven't said. IE 6 is supported but badly. Basically Internet Explorer has too many hooks back into the Windows OS (which are not supported when running it in Wine). IE 7 and IE 8 support is even worse/less developed.

A native web browser (like Opera, Firefox, SeaMonkey, Chrome, Konquerer, etc.) is always going to give you a far better experience as an end user. Perhaps in the bad ole' days when IE had a monopoly it was a necessary evil but in recent times most webpages don't need activeX or other MS concoctions...

I'm afraid to say if you really can't live without Internet Explorer, in Ubuntu, the only option really is a virtualised MS OS (installed in VirtualBox, VMWare, etc). ReactOS isn't mature enough (even for a Virtual environment) yet.

Bob
    Definitely, why you need the Internet Explorer, you are on Linux, man.
    Try one of the mentioned browsers, they are far better as the one of MS.
    I used to use Firefox also in my Windows time, the best browser for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I 100% Agree that Internet Explorer SUCKS!! As I am 100% Ubuntu my self
    BUT Unfortuantely there is a NEED for IE

myitlab.com a website used by my school requires IE! Even in their support/faq they recommend virtualizing Windows in either MAC/Linux to run IE since they're site uses Active X

minuteman a website for National Guard Tuition Assistance Requires IE

Usually it's a government or educational site that requires IE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I wish IE6 were better supported in Wine. There are still some sites that just don't work right with other browsers. (Are you listening BSA?) I try to stay in Linux/Firefox whenever I can, but sometimes I just have to boot into XP via VirtualBox so I can use IE. (At least I don't have to boot into my Visa partition.)

I'm active in Scouting, and the some of the pages at scoutnet.scouting.org work in Firefox, but forget about Internet Advancement or Internet Charter Renewal. There are some functions that are IE specific. Very frustrating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast