Thread: Nvidia GT430 Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nvidia GT430 Problem

I replaced my old Geforce 7600 card with a new Gt430 card on my secondary computer. It works perfectly in Windows 7 with the downloaded drivers but I haven't been able to get any drivers in Ubuntu 10.04. I followed the instructions at https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates but when I tried to do a "sudo apt-get update" I got a 404 error message. I also tried the download script from Nvidia and got nowhere there too.

Video speeds were definitely improved in Windows 7 and I am hoping for the same improvement in Ubuntu 10.04. I'm using a dual core Athlon 3800 on Gigabyte motherboard with 2gb of DDR2 (This computer is about 5 years old). Any thoughts?

Jerry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Nvidia GT430 Problem

Never mind - I got the drivers loaded. Big improvement on GLXGEARS performance but still not worth a cr*p for playing high definition .mts movie files from a Canon HD camcorder. The standard movie player in Windows 7 performs much better.

VLC in Linux is even worse than mplayer and Kino doesn't work at all.

Jerry

Beans

Re: Nvidia GT430 Problem

vlc doesn't support vdpau, and you have to specify that as the video ouput to get mplayer to use it...