Thread: Network applet vanishing

Beans

Exclamation Network applet vanishing

Hi , I am using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS . I encountered a serious nagging problem recently . I have my wireless driver installed just a couple of days back . The network-manager applet situated beside the time and date applet showed that I was receiving wifi signals correctly . I was using broadband connection and I was not subscribed to wi-fi services. My university has free wifi service and I was happy to subscribe to it.

Unfortunately the applet responsible for showing network connections disappeared . I could not bring it back despite applying (FN + F3 , this enabled the wifi signal correctly as displayed in the red signal of the laptop) , however lack of the applet prevented my ability to connect to the university wifi system . Under System->Preference menu the Network Connection was present though , but did not show wifi signal . My broadband connection nonetheless is working fine .

Long story short , is there a way to bring back the applet for network-manager which is present by default beside the date and time applet .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Network applet vanishing

Rightclick on panel-add to panel-select Notification area then add.
    If it doesnt work ,run
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
    and set
    Code:
    managed=true
    Restart machine
    Last edited by dineshs; November 21st, 2010 at 05:47 PM.
    Registered linux user #518022