Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need help for c++ programming.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: need help for c++ programming.

I suppose that's as good a place to start as any, except for the gedit part because of the apparently known gedit bug that others have reported.

Do you know how to use any other command line editor? An editor that you're comfortable with already would be best. If there is none or you have no preference, then I'll ask someone else to recommend an editor that is already installed or can be easily installed in your current OS setup.

Have you mentioned that? Which OS are you using? Which desktop environment?
    OpenSUSE: Dell Inspiron 8600 and Gateway GT5678
    MacOS X 10.5.8 PowerBook G4 12"
    Linux user #: 501795

Beans

I'll echo nvteighen: IDEs are not good for beginners, and I'd choose C before C++ (but Python before either). C and C++, but especially C++, suffer from lots of outdated and inaccurate resources that a lot of people still follow and gather bad habits from. (Notably, the tutorial you linked should use int main(void) in the C example, and the first example on this page both pollutes the main namespace and uses an ugly hack to work around poorly written IDEs.

As for an editor, I'll recommend both Vim and jEdit. Vim has a much steeper learning curve, but in the long run has made me a much more productive coder. jEdit is easier to get started with. There's also nothing wrong with continuing to use gedit; lots of people do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay3 View Post
    this is why i am in love with Ubuntu. The community, lots of helping hands to pull you out of trouble , whoever you are, wherever you are. Thanks everybody. lets come to the point. here is link of page what i have followed...
    It's interesting you say that being myself a Debian user...

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    I'll echo nvteighen: IDEs are not good for beginners, and I'd choose C before C++ (but Python before either). C and C++, but especially C++, suffer from lots of outdated and inaccurate resources that a lot of people still follow and gather bad habits from. (Notably, the tutorial you linked should use int main(void) in the C example, and the first example on this page both pollutes the main namespace and uses an ugly hack to work around poorly written IDEs.
    Yes, one of the biggest issues of C++ tutorials is that they assume that to learn C++ you need to learn C, which is completely false. The way of doing things in C++ is completely different and translating C into C++ is the path to disastrous code that uses hacks instead of the C++ STL. Moreover, if I really had to, I'd teach C++ starting with the STL and highest-level constructs and only climb down to the C-inherited bits when strictly needed. STL-style C++ isn't a great thing, but isn't as bad as C-like C++.

IMO, this is the best C++ resource, updated and reasonably sane: http://cplusplus.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nvteighen View Post
    It's interesting you say that being myself a Debian user...
    My PC, an Arch machine, hasn't run Ubuntu since Intrepid Ibex.

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Notably, the tutorial you linked should use int main(void) in the C example, and the first example on this page both pollutes the main namespace and uses an ugly hack to work around poorly written IDEs.
    I forgot to say that I picked that page because it was one of the first hits on a Google search for "learn C++". Just one example of how pervasive bad habits can be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

sorry if anybody get hurt as I considered all community members uses ubuntu. I am grateful to all community members whatever os they are using. I am thinking to use 'vim' . I believe in
    " JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS DIFFICULT DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULDN'T TRY, IT MEANS YOU SHOULD JUST TRY HARDER "

So i will try harder to learn it.

Beans

I don't think anyone was offended; for my part, it was just an interesting observation.

Good luck with Vim! You should probably start by running "vimtutor". Afterwards, from within Vim, type ":help" to start reading through the manual, which is quite extensive, but will make you more productive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12