Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDPVR as generic input device

Beans

HDPVR as generic input device

Does anyone know how to use the HDPVR as a generic input without channel guide info? Basically, if I want to hook up a device that isn't channel based...like a game console or other video box.

If so, how do I set recordings?

I wonder if I should setup a device in schedules direct, choose only one channel, renumber it to 0 (or 999, or whatever) and make sure it is a channel with no information...?

Any other ideas that actually make sense?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HDPVR as generic input device

if you just want it to record random gaming videos why even use myth? just use a easy termianl command to reocrd the input, like so

cat /dev/video0 > test.ts
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans

It's easier to schedule it. Easier to use a remote. Easier to setup via mythweb.

...and you can make it time bound.

I've used the cat command before, but it craps out after a few seconds on the HDPVR device.
    Last edited by davidstoll; November 22nd, 2010 at 03:23 AM.

Beans

I have done this before, albeit with a PVR-150. You don't need schedules direct.

In backend setup set up your hdpvr then setup a source as "no grabber" and call it dummy.

In "input connections" connect the card to the video source and enter /bin/true as the channel change script.

Then set up a channel - give it whatever number you aren't already using.

Then do manual scheduling.

It's a while since I did this, but I think I got all the steps right.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    I have done this before, albeit with a PVR-150. You don't need schedules direct.

In backend setup set up your hdpvr then setup a source as "no grabber" and call it dummy.

In "input connections" connect the card to the video source and enter /bin/true as the channel change script.

Then set up a channel - give it whatever number you aren't already using.

Then do manual scheduling.

It's a while since I did this, but I think I got all the steps right.
    I get an error that says the device does not have any channels associated with it. I can say "Continue, I know what I'm doing". I guess that's ok, but would rather setup some kind of channel list. This is obviously why I'm not seeing it in the channel guide, but I don't see a way to add a channel on the backend setup.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davidstoll View Post
    I get an error that says the device does not have any channels associated with it. I can say "Continue, I know what I'm doing". I guess that's ok, but would rather setup some kind of channel list. This is obviously why I'm not seeing it in the channel guide, but I don't see a way to add a channel on the backend setup.
    I take that back. You have to go to #5 Channel Editor to add channel 0 (or whatever) and then go back to #4 Input Connections to place it on the HDPVR.

Now I see channel 0 in the channel guide! However, when I go to it, all I get is a black screen and I can't get out of it except to kill the frontend process. However if I "cat" the same input, I do get what I expect from the input.

Also if I schedule a manual recording, I get a error (red f) failure to record.

Any suggestions at this point? Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by davidstoll; November 23rd, 2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: manual recording info

Beans

I take that back. You have to go to #5 Channel Editor to add channel 0 (or whatever) and then go back to #4 Input Connections to place it on the HDPVR.

Now I see channel 0 in the channel guide! However, when I go to it, all I get is a black screen and I can't get out of it except to kill the frontend process. However if I "cat" the same input, I do get what I expect from the input.

Also if I schedule a manual recording, I get a error (red f) failure to record.

Any suggestions at this point? Thanks again for the help.
    did you specify the channel change script as /bin/true

I would take a look at the backend logs when trying to record.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    did you specify the channel change script as /bin/true

I would take a look at the backend logs when trying to record.
    Yes, I set the channel change script to /bin/true.

Here is what the backend log says...

Code:
    2010-11-22 18:30:40.846 Channel(/dev/video2) Error: GetCurrentChannelNum(0): Failed to find Channel
    2010-11-22 18:30:40.858 Channel(/dev/video2)::TuneTo(0): Error, failed to find channel.
    2010-11-22 18:30:40.869 TVRec(4) Error: Failed to set channel to 0. Reverting to kState_None
    2010-11-22 18:30:40.876 TVRec(4): Changing from RecordingOnly to None

Beans

I'm still getting the "failure to record" error, but the channel 0 is in the channel guide.

Any ideas for how to troubleshoot?

I would really appreciate any further assistance that can be provided.

Thanks!

Beans

I'm still getting the "failure to record" error, but the channel 0 is in the channel guide.

Any ideas for how to troubleshoot?

I would really appreciate any further assistance that can be provided.

Thanks!
    As I don't actually have an hdpvr and I am working from memory for my pvr150 setup I would have to recommend the mailing list for further assistance at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast