Thread: Install - Vista same as Windows Recovery Environment?

Beans

Install - Vista same as Windows Recovery Environment?

Just had a noob question...I tried googling it but couldn't find an answer...

I am wanting to dual-boot Ubuntu 10.10 and Vista (already installed)...

But when I get to the step to "Allocate Drive Space", I have two options:

One for Ubuntu, and the other for Windows Recovery Environment...

Is this right? Will I be dual-booting if I press install now? Is it just being picked up as a different name? I don't want to nuke anything.

I attached a screenshot...hopefully it works.

Thank you for your time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Install - Vista same as Windows Recovery Environment?

It is best to defragment Windows a few times and after that free some space from within Windows.

After that you can install Ubuntu in the free space.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    It is best to defragment Windows a few times and after that free some space from within Windows.

After that you can install Ubuntu in the free space.

Ok thanks, I'll go ahead and run a defrag...but to clarifiy, "Windows Recovery Environment" is the same as vista, and if I install Ubuntu, as per my screenshot, I will be able to keep Vista, yes?

I appreciate the response.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BatteryBrains View Post
    Ok thanks, I'll go ahead and run a defrag...but to clarifiy, "Windows Recovery Environment" is the same as vista, and if I install Ubuntu, as per my screenshot, I will be able to keep Vista, yes?

I appreciate the response.
    Probably ... NOT.

Do NOT rely on the installer to (1) properly read the partitions on your drive, and (2) NOT wipe out work you really need to keep.

For reasons no one wants to address here, the latest version of the installer goes out of its way to be confusing, with YOU taking all the risk of wiping out your existing Windows install if a mistake or error in judgement is made.

The Recovery Environment is MOST likely to be a partition containing a restore image of Vista -- if your PC came preloaded with Vista when you bought it. IF you wipe that, and you have no alternate Vista image, and anything happens to your current install -- you'll be without ANY way to restore Vista to your PC. Period.

The safest thing to do is the following:
    1) Use the Vista builtin Disk Mangement utility to shrink the Vista OS partition to make room for Ubuntu.
    2) Boot into Vista a couple of times after this to ensure you can still boot OK.
    3) Go to the Macrium Reflect website, download and install the Free edition. Run that, selecting the option to create a Boot disk.
    4) using Macrium Reflect, back off an image of your Vista OS partition to another drive, preferrably an external drive.
    5) Goto the link below, download and burn the proper Vista Repair CD:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

NOW ... When you boot from the Ubuntu CD and run the installer, be VERY CAREFUL where you choose to install. At least now, should you make a mistake, you'll be able to recover your Vista OS installation.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Thanks for the warning and detailed instruction...I'll give it a shot